Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardest Credit Cards to Get?

tag
tpatterson2k9
Regular Contributor

Hardest Credit Cards to Get?

I am not too familiar with the wide variety of CCs that are available, but I was wondering if there are CCs out there that are especially difficult to qualify for, and if so what are they?  Do cards with an annual fee tend to be easier to qualify for than no AF cards?  Is Amex considered the most picky and most difficult CC to qualify for in terms of CCCs?

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Hardest Credit Cards to Get?

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

I am not too familiar with the wide variety of CCs that are available, but I was wondering if there are CCs out there that are especially difficult to qualify for, and if so what are they?  Do cards with an annual fee tend to be easier to qualify for than no AF cards?  Is Amex considered the most picky and most difficult CC to qualify for in terms of CCCs?

Most would say Discover is pickier than Amex, especially with how lenient they've been on approvals for their charge cards.  I find BofA can be very picky as well.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 27
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

Most would say Discover is pickier than Amex, especially with how lenient they've been on approvals for their charge cards.  I find BofA can be very picky as well.

I thought you'd say Amex Zync is the hardest to get. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

"The Centurion card is invitation-only, granted after extremely strict net worth, credit, and spending criteria are met.

American Express does not publicly disclose the requirements for getting a card."

Message 4 of 27
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

I thought you'd say Amex Zync is the hardest to get. Smiley Wink

Grr....

And to the post above me, take a look at the requirements for the JP Morgan Palladium Card...

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smc733 wrote:

@tpatterson2k9 wrote:

Discover has become pretty lenient as well. I was recently approved for a Discover More with a 618 EQ Smiley Surprised

I believe hardest cards to get these days are those offered by banks that look for CLEAN reports (BOA, Chase, CITI, WF)

Black card and Paladium cards aren't really attainable for the majority of the population so I have omitted them.

Message 6 of 27
smc733
Valued Contributor

In that case, I would go BofA, then maybe Chase.

BofA denies people with clean reports and 740+ FICOs for random odd reasons all the time.

Message 7 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, it has always been Chase and Discover.  When I was rebulding after my college years, they were the two who would always deny my apps for a myriad of reasons from too many inquiries, not enough references, low usage, high usage, too low of a limit, too high of a limit, too high utilization, too low utilization, and to finally not having any mortgages. 

I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting.

Message 8 of 27
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

For me, Citi (bank cards) have been the hardest.  (Although I secured Citi store cards for Home Depot and Sears while our DMP was in progress--with several Citi brand cards on the DMP!)

Chase was easy (despite my now 2 and 5-year-old baddies) (Chase Continental World MC)

Amex Zync and Blue were easy (despite the above)

Barclays required a recon call -- to get only a $1500 CL

Nordstrom Signature Visa is hard to get in my estimation.

Haven't tried Discover, though I've been tempted.

Haven't tried US Bank cards, but I've heard that they are credit sticklers from reading this board.

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 9 of 27
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

The cards with the $475 annual fees..........

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.