Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardest citi card to get ? I’m new to the Citi

tag
MeN5
Regular Contributor

Hardest citi card to get ? I’m new to the Citi

Hello I was wondering what the hardest citi card to get ? And if what the typical starting limit is? Also the soonest anyone has gotten an increase? When does the fico score show in the app?

13 REPLIES 13
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hardest citi card to get ? I’m new to the Citi

I don't think any of the citi cards are any harder to get then the other major players. 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 2 of 14
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

The hardest Citi card to get right now is the Premier. As a rough guideline, you need less than 1-2 inquiries in the last 6 months and you need to have some utilization reporting across maybe 2 or 3 cards or so*. These are ROUGH guidelines, not scriptures from the Citi crypts. 

Double Cash and Custom cash are much easier to get approved for. 

*Before anyone marches in here (because there's always one Smiley Happy) saying they got a Premier with 10 inquiries in the last 3 days and negative 3% utilization, you were an exception, not the norm.

Citi has a prequalification site so you can check to see if they might lend to you. Again, you might still get approved even if you don't see anything on the prequal website, but worth looking there to see how they view you. 

Message 3 of 14
calisig
Regular Contributor

I think the Costco Visa is the hardest Citi card to get. And I agree with @Credit12Fico  that the Custom Cash and Double Cash are easier to get.

I also think Citi is generally one of the hardest big banks to get approved by (easier than US Bank but harder than Chase). Typical starting limits I see with Citi are between $5-7k. Accounts are elligible for increases every six months.

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 4 of 14
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It might not be the hardest but it can be one of the "weirdest" places to disapprove customers for various illogical reasons, even with Fico8>800. Based on my prior recon call, it looked like they expect a cleansheet in the past 12 months (reminding the Nazi's soup episode in Seinfeld to come back one year!!!). For Premier, there were some rumors that they prefer very special distribution of utilization ratio over the current CCs!!! Too much homework and not sure whether it can go anywhere.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aren't airline/travel cards generally the hardest to get? In the case of Citi, AA. I guess I was lucky to get DC after 4 month of cc history lol, SL of 1000. Did receive AA mailer but was denied, and when I log out of Citi nowadays, Costco visa sometimes appears on the page. That card was also 'recommened' on CK.

Message 6 of 14
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

CK 'recommendations' are marketing driven and are based upon general demographic information and not a specific evaluation of your credit report.  They have a financial incentive in encouraging applications as the referral fees they get from the click-throughs to apply are a revenue source.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 14
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aren't airline/travel cards generally the hardest to get? In the case of Citi, AA. I guess I was lucky to get DC after 4 month of cc history lol, SL of 1000. Did receive AA mailer but was denied, and when I log out of Citi nowadays, Costco visa sometimes appears on the page. That card was also 'recommened' on CK.

Not sure whether the mailed offers are coming from which department. I received an AA offer by mail and got denied instantly. If that is the case, what is the point of sending such offer by mail? It is a waste of time and creates lack of trust. The recon call did not go anywhere and it created more doubt about the quality of the evaluation process.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

CK 'recommendations' are marketing driven and are based upon general demographic information and not a specific evaluation of your credit report.  They have a financial incentive in encouraging applications as the referral fees they get from the click-throughs to apply are a revenue source.

Oh I know, just mentioned it as reference. Unless outstanding or excellent, not to be trusted, even 'very good(Delta Gold just now when I logged in)'

Message 9 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MeN5 wrote:

Hello I was wondering what the hardest citi card to get ? And if what the typical starting limit is? Also the soonest anyone has gotten an increase? When does the fico score show in the app?

Hardest one is the one you get declined for.

Typical starting limits $1000.00 - $25,000.00

Soonest is whenever SP language shows up. Having SP language doesn't mean one will get it, it only means you're able to request it. 

For me, it was 7 weeks with both cards. 

Score shows up anywhere from a few days to 10 days after SP done at closing. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.