cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

Just be careful. I would stop spending business on personal accounts, honestly. They can and will shut you down if they get even the slightest whiff of that's what's going on.

It's very easy to get business accounts with them and with good rewards, too.. so go for that.

Edit: Just read back and saw you have 7 cards with Amex.. focus business spend only on your business cards -- ask for CLIs on them if you have to choose where to get the CLIs since you actually spend a significant portion there and will need the ability to spend a great deal. Just remember that also Amex cards can go over their limit most times. Just check your spending ability before a large purchase and definitely utilize your business charge card..that's what it's there for!

Message 21 of 27
mdd0214
Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

Just be careful. I would stop spending business on personal accounts, honestly. They can and will shut you down if they get even the slightest whiff of that's what's going on.

It's very easy to get business accounts with them and with good rewards, too.. so go for that.

Edit: Just read back and saw you have 7 cards with Amex.. focus business spend only on your business cards -- ask for CLIs on them if you have to choose where to get the CLIs since you actually spend a significant portion there and will need the ability to spend a great deal. Just remember that also Amex cards can go over their limit most times. Just check your spending ability before a large purchase and definitely utilize your business charge card..that's what it's there for!

Interestingly I had a client who used to put $150-500k in business expenses (mostly equipment and supplies for an hvac company) on a personal account held in his sister in laws name. Did it for years without an issue until the divorce started, then she closed account.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No negative info. I just went through and removed all my extra numbers addresses and info that is old so my report is pretty lean. I would have a way better util... but i
I have 7 cards with AMEX...  
     used /  CL
BC (200$ / 1000$ balance), Paid in full already
BCE (0$ / 5,000$ balance),  Paid almost 9k and status of paid in full already
Hilton (2,300$ / 2,800 balance) paid 5k this month already so everything is paid in full till Jan 14,
Premier Rewards Gold (600$ balance),  paid in full
Simply Cash, (4,100$ / 10,000$ balance), Paid about 9K on this this month and it is paid in full till Jan 14
Simply Cash Plus(3700$ of 4,000) Paid in full for the month till 13th jan,
Business Gold (900$ balance) Paid all but 125$ of balance already this month.

Is the BC the Blue Cash, with 5% after $6,500 annual spend, up to $50,000?

BCE is the Blue Cash Everyday, not the Blue Cash Preferred, correct?

When was the BC opened?

When was the BCE opened?

When was the Hilton opened?

He may have already reached his internal Credit Limit. an UW would be the best advice.

Message 23 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mdd0214 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Interestingly I had a client who used to put $150-500k in business expenses (mostly equipment and supplies for an hvac company) on a personal account held in his sister in laws name. Did it for years without an issue until the divorce started, then she closed account.

Interesting, indeed. 

I would say your client got lucky (or rather, his sister-in-law did), or else she had income and a credit profile to support that level of spending on personal basis.

The T&C's of most cards state they are to be used for personal expenses only and American Express is known to actually enforce this, perhaps more than other issuers.  It makes sense if you think about it, after all they are granting credit based on your personal resources and ability to pay, not the resources of the company you work for.  If you're self-employed it can get a little murky, but even then Amex will still want you to keep business and personal spending separate if your business spend is significant.

I would recommend the OP to keep business spend off his personal Amex cards, at least if he's interested in keeping them long-term. 

Just my 2¢. 

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmm I don't think that I am really needing to worry about the business cards for personal use thing... The closest they get to being used for personal is meals on my simply cash card since restraunts is my 3%.  The only personal spend other than that is with the AMEX offers that are more directed for personal spend.  I really don't know what I would use my business cards for that would be the best for personal expenses... I mean Ink I pay my Cable Bill but my office is my home...  tracking my spending is nearly impossible as I use gift cards for just about everything.  My taxes are an auditors worst nightmare on steroids. I know many of the MS tricks out there as I find those guy's hobby really interesting and it has taught me how to save money on my business expenses.   I also took years of accounting as I had nothing better to minor in...So it kind of made a ton of things make sense to me.

As far as personal spending and Business spending go, card holders may have their terms, but as far as the IRS is conserned I am a disregarded entity, so I just file my bsiness stuff with my personal stuff.  its extremly difficult to differentiate my personal spending from my busness spening because my business and my girlfriend are my life and all I have time for.  There is no way for them to tell if my cell bill is for personal use or for business, not my cable either.  But I wouldn't go out and use my business card at a toy store or something ike that.  unless I got am AMEX offer... in wich case screw it, don't put an offer for personal spending on a business card AMEX...  I do appreciate th eadvice on this though, I didn't realize amex did this with business cards. 

I don't think I will get to cool down on anything soon, this is the busiest time of the year for me... I can't afford to sit on my hands right now, there is just too much to gain.  I guess if I get denied, I get denied, I will survive, it will just mean more time aying cards.  hopefully when the letter comes it will say that i requested it too eary.  I did just start trying to get a 0 balance by paying early, over the last few months, but it is really hard at times because I don't always get paid on time. 

I doubt I am at my internal credit limit.  my card dont add up to enough.  and I can use my business spending as income when reporting my income to AMEX, so it is up over 100k.

is there any way to talk to an actual underwriter? I tried to find the number for that online using google as my friend, but I couldnt find anything.  I started drafting a letter to the executive office for AMEX explaining every inqury I have, the spending my business requires to keep going, and showing specifically how I am paying my cards early by 2x their CL alot of times... but I havent had time to finish it.

Blispay is a Hidden CL, should not show on my reoports. So I dont mind letting it sit at 90% and they seem content with me making decent sized payments regularly,  so ill stick to that. 

BC Blue Cash

BCE Clue Cash Every 

both are as you described as far as rewards go. 

Message 25 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

hmm I don't think that I am really needing to worry about the business cards for personal use thing... The closest they get to being used for personal is meals on my simply cash card since restraunts is my 3%.  The only personal spend other than that is with the AMEX offers that are more directed for personal spend.  I really don't know what I would use my business cards for that would be the best for personal expenses... I mean Ink I pay my Cable Bill but my office is my home...  tracking my spending is nearly impossible as I use gift cards for just about everything.  My taxes are an auditors worst nightmare on steroids. I know many of the MS tricks out there as I find those guy's hobby really interesting and it has taught me how to save money on my business expenses.   I also took years of accounting as I had nothing better to minor in...So it kind of made a ton of things make sense to me.

As far as personal spending and Business spending go, card holders may have their terms, but as far as the IRS is conserned I am a disregarded entity, so I just file my bsiness stuff with my personal stuff.  its extremly difficult to differentiate my personal spending from my busness spening because my business and my girlfriend are my life and all I have time for.  There is no way for them to tell if my cell bill is for personal use or for business, not my cable either.  But I wouldn't go out and use my business card at a toy store or something ike that.  unless I got am AMEX offer... in wich case screw it, don't put an offer for personal spending on a business card AMEX...  I do appreciate th eadvice on this though, I didn't realize amex did this with business cards. 

I don't think I will get to cool down on anything soon, this is the busiest time of the year for me... I can't afford to sit on my hands right now, there is just too much to gain.  I guess if I get denied, I get denied, I will survive, it will just mean more time aying cards.  hopefully when the letter comes it will say that i requested it too eary.  I did just start trying to get a 0 balance by paying early, over the last few months, but it is really hard at times because I don't always get paid on time. 

I doubt I am at my internal credit limit.  my card dont add up to enough.  and I can use my business spending as income when reporting my income to AMEX, so it is up over 100k.

is there any way to talk to an actual underwriter? I tried to find the number for that online using google as my friend, but I couldnt find anything.  I started drafting a letter to the executive office for AMEX explaining every inqury I have, the spending my business requires to keep going, and showing specifically how I am paying my cards early by 2x their CL alot of times... but I havent had time to finish it.

Blispay is a Hidden CL, should not show on my reoports. So I dont mind letting it sit at 90% and they seem content with me making decent sized payments regularly,  so ill stick to that. 

BC Blue Cash

BCE Clue Cash Every 

both are as you described as far as rewards go. 

FYI Blispay is now reporting on Experian:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Blispay-now-reporting/td-p/4742981

Message 26 of 27
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't say you were using business for personal.. It's the inverse that Amex doesn't like. People have been FR'd for this in the past and hard limits placed on their cards. If you want to function well with your business use your business cards for business expenses.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.