cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Amex lost its prestigious status?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Has Amex lost its prestigious status?

Prestige is going to be relative, and in the eye of the beholder. I live between NYC, SF, and LA. I got a PRG with 6.5 months of history, and even Platinums are pretty commonplace where I go.

Now, if you're in parts of Mississippi (the state with the lowest per capita income as of 2014) you might be impressed with even a BCE.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 51 of 73
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Prestige is going to be relative, and in the eye of the beholder. I live between NYC, SF, and LA. I got a PRG with 6.5 months of history, and even Platinums are pretty commonplace where I go.

Now, if you're in parts of Mississippi (the state with the lowest per capita income as of 2014) you might be impressed with even a BCE.

I live in Georgia (not Atlanta) and can offer a data point. I've had several people comment on my "fancy" BCE.

Message 52 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Not that it matters (I kind of get tired of this), I live in LA as well and NYC– still get tons of people talking to me about my card when I use it at restaurants or food places. But imo in the end I've learned prestige is meh; if the card benefits are good then it shouldn't matter how many people have it– as long as I'm winning!

Message 53 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my first Amex Apr 2015, I felt like I was on top of the world. I wore a shirt that said, "Prestigious". 

Two years later, I don't really care now. It's just some more cards in my wallet with great benefits like the rest. My friends think my Amex cards are cool though. Smiley Happy

Message 54 of 73
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Any consilation on prestige, lol, was watching The Wedding Singer last nighr, and Sandlers friend the limo driver whipped out a Green card to save the day at end so seeing its still around , you know its got the "It" factorSmiley Happy
Message 55 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the food for thought! I guess what I was trying to get at was if Amex's business model changed, and the short answer apparently is yes! Makes sense... they have more competition, and the consumers spend patterns/habits have changed since the 80's & 90's. 

Message 56 of 73
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

they have more competition

Absolutely.  Now that Citi and Chase have cards that compete with Platinum, Amex doesn't own that top end segment anymore.  They have to expand their reach to keep from shrinking.

Message 57 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

they have more competition

Absolutely.  Now that Citi and Chase have cards that compete with Platinum, Amex doesn't own that top end segment anymore.  They have to expand their reach to keep from shrinking.

At least Amex doesn't call their cards prestigious.  If anything is called "Prestige" you can gurantee yourself that it is not prestigious. 

Message 58 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 59 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

http://hamodia.com/2017/07/19/american-express-2q-profits-fall-33-percent-due-costco/

Actually you read the article their profits did not fall they actually went up.  A year ago they sold their portfolio of Costco Credit Cards for 1.1 billion.  So if you subtract the 1.1 billion from the one time sale they had 0.88 billion profit a year ago for the quarter.  This year the profit is 1.31 Billion.  So their profits are way up.  I was afraid for a second because I own a lot Amex Stock.  Which is still up over 50 percent from my purchases in February of 2016.  

People over-reacting to the Costco deal has been good to me.

Message 60 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.