cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has BoA CB Rewards ever changed offered categories?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has BoA CB Rewards ever changed offered categories?

I was looking into this card a couple of years back and then not again until recently and thought perhaps the 3% categories have changed.  Have any been added or removed?  For some reason I thought that utilities was a possible category, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Has BoA CB Rewards ever changed offered categories?

This link may help

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/cash-back-category-choices... 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking into this card a couple of years back and then not again until recently and thought perhaps the 3% categories have changed.  Have any been added or removed?  For some reason I thought that utilities was a possible category, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

It used to be 3% (or more with status) on gas. The ability to choose has only been around for about two years.

2%+ at supermarkets, not including warehouse clubs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 18
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

It's still gas, online shopping, drug stores, home improvement & furnishings, dining, and travel for 3%.

Message 4 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I have had the card a while (Date opened May 02, 2018) , I don't ever remember seeing utilities?

In fact, I have never noticed any change in Cat's.

I just use the US Bank Cash+ for UT's

U.S. Bank Cash+ is a card that lets you choose two categories to earn 5% in. You can change your categories every quarter and you’re restricted to earning 5% on the first $2,000 in combined spend on both categories (e.g maximum of $100 cash back), the card then reverts to earning 1% cash back on those categories. Starting April 1st, 2018 home utilities will replace bookstores as a 5% category. Home utilities includes:

• electric, gas and waste management companies

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-cash-home-utilities-replace-bookstores-5-category-april-1st-...

Message 5 of 18
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It used to be 3% (or more with status) on gas. The ability to choose has only been around for about two years.

I can now be used at warehouse clubs for 2%. I just got the card last week.

Message 6 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Utilities were never a category for this card under the current rewards structure.

Message 7 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@shadanat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can now be used at warehouse clubs for 2%. I just got the card last week.

Now, yes. I was talking about the old structure. I could have been clearer.

To avoid any confusion...

Old structure (before early 2019): 3% on gas, 2% at supermarkets

New structure (since early 2019): 3% on chosen category, 2% at supermarkets and wholesale clubs

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 18
ccquest
Established Contributor

Can confirm what @wasCB14 said. Had mine since 2013.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I just use the US Bank Cash+ for UT's

Maybe I had the BoA card confused with this one.  There was something that I was considering for utilities at one point.  The BoA card doesn't really appeal to me with the 3% categories offered, as I've got them covered across other cards already.  Thanks for the good info!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.