Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Citi changed CLI 6 month rule?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Has Citi changed CLI 6 month rule?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to recall that in the past, for multiple card customers, the customer had to wait 6 months to apply for a new CLI on that particular card, but could apply for a CLI for another Citi card which had not had a CLI within the prior 6 months.

That is certainly not the case for me at the present time, as when I go to the CLI link I'm automatically advised that I cannot apply for a CLI on any card if I've had one CLI within 6 months on any card. still the case.

Never mind Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has Citi changed CLI 6 month rule?

I don't recall that being the case, I've always only been allowed 1 CLI every 6 months and have 2 cards with them.

Do you have personal DP's of getting a CLI on multiple cards in that period?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not aware of a change, I got CLIs on my Citi AA Plat WEMC & Citi DC both on 3/2/2020.  It's certainly possible they changed that policy in the past 2 months, but I haven't heard or read anything on that.

Message 3 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I think it's just your individual profile.  I got $2000 on my Premier 15 FEB (though screenshot below says 17th - that was a Saturday so must have been recorded Monday on the next business day) and $2000 on my Rewards+ 13 APR.  I just tried on my Premier and got the expected pop up telling me I have to wait until August.

59F2D660-6520-4EB1-8E58-3332BD25FF01.jpeg

Message 4 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I seem to recall that in the past, for multiple card customers, the customer had to wait 6 months to apply for a new CLI on that particular card, but could apply for a CLI for another Citi card which had not had a CLI within the prior 6 months.

That is certainly not the case for me at the present time, as when I go to the CLI link I'm automatically advised that I cannot apply for a CLI on any card if I've had one CLI within 6 months on any card.

Have you tried it on their mobile app?  I see different "not yet" messages on mobile and desktop.  I have two Citi cards on which my last CLIs were about a month apart.  

On mobile, the message I get looks like what @K-in-Boston posted, and the date I'm seeing is six months after my last CLI on that card.  

On desktop, the message doesn't change regardless of which card I select in the drop down.

The fact that it differs by device type tells me it's more likely a flaw in Citi's website software (I'm shocked!) than an actual change in policy. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading this thread prompted me to log into Citi just now to perform a test on their system, since my next eligible CLI is due on 5/15/20 though i'd take a chance. 

Entered info for Diamond Preferred and was approved for $2K increase making my new limit $11,500. Then went to do the same on Double Cash and was approved for another $2K making my new limit on that card $12,500.

So i guess it does work, all this time I've only been requesting one CLI with Citi every six months. lol

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Reading this thread prompted me to log into Citi just now to perform a test on their system, since my next eligible CLI is due on 5/15/20 though i'd take a chance. 

Entered info for Diamond Preferred and was approved for $2K increase making my new limit $11,500. Then went to do the same on Double Cash and was approved for another $2K making my new limit on that card $12,500.

So i guess it does work, all this time I've only been requesting one CLI with Citi every six months. lol

OK, since @Anonymous @Curious_George2 @K-in-Boston @Anonymous were all showing that the 2 cards are independent, I went back in -- thinking that I was being singled out or something.

As it turns out, I was just reading it wrong. I needed to change cards in the drop down menu, and then the regular soft pull language came back to me.

Never mind Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The last time I did a CLI (a month ago), my cards had different dates for cli depending on the last time I got one. Its 6 months in between cli and its per card, at least for me. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I guess i should have provided that minor detail, because the same wording popped up when I tried on the second card. Then I realized they had the Diamond listed, though I did click on via the DC. So I think it was Citi's fault all along.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.