Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been blacklisted with Chase for:

tag
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone been blacklisted with Chase for:

-going over the limit

-closing the card with a balance (but still paying it off)?

I have no immediate plans for Chase, but I am in the garden and would love a chance in 1.5 years, when I am under 5/25, and just want to see if anyone has experienced a denial based on the reasons above. Maybe 1.5 is too soon, though.

It looks like, for a good number of years, BKs are blacklisted, as well as charge offs, but I can't find any other less than stellar circumstances. I have had a checking & savings with them for about 15 years now, so I'm a very loyal customer.

Any insight is much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Has anyone been blacklisted with Chase for:

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

-going over the limit

-closing the card with a balance (but still paying it off)?

I have no immediate plans for Chase, but I am in the garden and would love a chance in 1.5 years, when I am under 5/25, and just want to see if anyone has experienced a denial based on the reasons above. Maybe 1.5 is too soon, though.

It looks like, for a good number of years, BKs are blacklisted, as well as charge offs, but I can't find any other less than stellar circumstances. I have had a checking & savings with them for about 15 years now, so I'm a very loyal customer.

Any insight is much appreciated Smiley Happy

No personal experience with the above, but as long as you paid the closed account in full according to the terms of the respective card, I don't see these things precluding you from another Chase card. If the card was a Signature Visa, going over your "limit" is permitted, as it's a "Flexible Spend" card.

Edit to ask... Who closed the account? You or Chase?

Message 2 of 5
CreditJourney007
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I did close the account myself. And it was a Marriott card. I'm not sure if that was a Signature Visa, but it was a Visa with a limit of $5K so maybe?

Message 3 of 5
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@CreditJourney007 wrote:

Thanks! I did close the account myself. And it was a Marriott card. I'm not sure if that was a Signature Visa, but it was a Visa with a limit of $5K so maybe?

As long as you paid it off without any lates, I'm fairly certain the above will have little to no effect on your chances at a new Chase card Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Part of my high balances were a total of four cards with Chase, many the result of mergers. 

One they closed, or at least restricted. That one I paid down over time, per terms. Got it paid off by late 2013.

One with the 1998 opening date, after I got it paid off they rate jacked it to nearly 30%. That one I closed in mid-2014 after they didn't want to reduce the rate. 

I opened checking in 2011.

So in mid-2014 I had a Slate with $11,200 limit, the balance was a few thousand, and a Forever 5% rate I was paying down. They didn't further balance chase that one. After getting it to zero I PC'd it to my CFU two years ago.  

I also had a Freedom card, which went through the wringer. Had a nice low APR, and they bumped that up to more like market rate. The CL was $3,500 and got two CLD to $1,500. I used that Freedom card a lot because it maintained the 10 UR per swipe, plus 10% extra UR points for something like 2 years after everyone else got kicked off those benefits. $1,500 limit which I was quite proud of. Recently they auto CLI to $4,900.

In Dec 2014, Jan 2015 I got a Marriott card, $6k, and Hyatt card, $12k. At that point I felt pretty lucky. Started routing most of my checking through Chase for good luck on future apps.

In Jan 2018, finally got under 5/24, so got the CSP with $30k limit. 

I never missed a payment with any lenders, so the card actions were just realigning the banks comfort level. With time I would expect the OP to have good results with Chase. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.