cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone converted their AmEx Canada card to a U.S Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone converted their AmEx Canada card to a U.S Card?

I recently checked my Canadian credit score out of curiosity (I've lived in the U.S for 10 years) and was surprised to see it was at 800. I decided to apply for a Canadian American Express card to increase available credit just to see if I could push it higher. After being approved I thought "wait a minute...if I can convert this to a U.S AmEx I can improve my utilization here!

So off to Google I went and all I could find was an AmEx page that instructed me to say I'm already a member, provide my card number on a shortened application and my U.S Address. It said nothing about SSN, hard pulls, anything.

Has anyone ever converted their card? Was it a straight forward process or was there an entirely new application involved? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Has anyone converted their AmEx Canada card to a U.S Card?

It is a new application, but they take your previous history and existing credit reports into account:

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/

Also, I really want that Cobalt card!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! So if I have some blemishes on my U.S report it can hinder my chances of converting? I'll likely pass then as I wouldn't want them to close my Canadian AmEx card/let me just keep it as is without converting.

Message 3 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yeah I'm pretty sure if you've declared that you have relocated they'll want to cancel your old card anyway.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I spend enough time travelling back home that it will be beneficial to have a Canadian credit card to avoid foreign transaction fees anyway. Thanks for the input and help!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Also, I really want that Cobalt card!

Seriously, why can't we have nice things like this in the US?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked at the Cobalt card. Why did I not apply for that?!? Haha.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did it when I moved to the US 3.5yr ago. Amex was extremely helpful and it was one of my first cards here at a time when I had no credit history in the US. It's called the "global transfer program" and you can do it by calling them. They will want you to send proof of US address and a few things but it was easy.

I believe you have to have had the Canadian cards for six months so you might need to wait a bit if you just opened it.

If you do not ask them to keep it, by default they will close your Canadian card when creating the US one.

One question: how did you check your Canadian credit score? Ever since I moved to the US I'm unable as the sites I used to use won't even let me put a US address.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know. I'll keep it open for some time then.

I used two different sites. I went to creditkarma.ca and a place called mogo.ca. I believe they both use estimated scores although I'm not entirely sure. I used an alternate email for CK as I wasn't sure I could have my primary tied to a U.S and Canadian account at the same time. The CAD version is a lot more limited however.

Message 9 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:

Thanks! So if I have some blemishes on my U.S report it can hinder my chances of converting? I'll likely pass then as I wouldn't want them to close my Canadian AmEx card/let me just keep it as is without converting.

With a little luck @Anonymous will come around and will be able to provide additional feedback.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.