cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else ever requested CLD???

tag
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Has anyone else ever requested CLD???

I get this a lot believe it or not. I always laugh to myself when I think of how some of the high limit chasers here would react when I have people call in to ask for a CLD. A lot of times it happens at activation. I finish activating their card, they ask what their credit limit is, and I tell them they were approved for a $20,000 starting limit. They freak out lol. "OMFGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOO!!!! That's way too high. I want that lowered to $1,000 RIGHT NOW!"

Smiley LOL

Whatever you want dude. It's your credit. Smiley Wink

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 11 of 28
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Lol, I tried once not long ago on my Citi DC because I hit the luv button and didn't like the increase, but it didn't give me the option to decline it. CSR I believe also incorrectly told me I can try for an increase any time even though I got this increase.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
With that utilization you won't see a change in score. Some people have requested it and some will say it's stupid. Personally I think if you're uncomfortable with it then decrease it some. It won't hurt either way credit wise. There are decent arguments either way but this isn't about opinions it's about what makes you comfortable. Don't let anyone push you out of a financial comfort zone

+1

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Up until now, I have not done it. I would if it was in the best interest of my credit profile.
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never done it but I would for any amount over 12k.

Message 15 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Learning from this great forum, when i get my profile thick enough and healthy enough, i would do it if helped me out in anyway. As of right now i wouldnt. Always pros and cons i guess but as previously mentioned always put your needs first Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 28
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I've never requested a CLD, although I have chosen to not ask for a CLI on a card that really didn't need it, and I have voluntarily accepted a (slightly) lower CLI than was offered.

Specifically, on my Belk account my current limit is $5k, and that was strictly by using the CLI feature on the website - I never called Credit Solutions for it.  Since they don't sell furniture or mattresses (at least in my area) it seems silly to have a credit line any larger than $5k... actually even that much is over-kill for me, but I'm leaving it alone.

My last CLI on my Capital One QS MasterCard back in December was $1k, but I lowered it to $980.  I did this because my previous credit line was $2920, and that extra $20 always just seemed odd to me.  My manually changing my last CLI I was able to get the credit line to a somewhat 'even' amount.  (Yeah, I know this seems silly.)  The odd amount was due to my very first CLI on the card years ago being $20 - seriously.  That's back when the card was HSBC... they weren't known for their generosity.

Message 17 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I agree with you UncleB In that if a limit is sufficient for what you charge just leave it be. As we see the madness with Sync bank continue , i look at my current limits with them look at how much i really spend and ask myself is it sufficient. Case in point i got $6000 for amazon, no way im going to spend thst much on it but if it stays like that i would not mind knowing that i can comfortably put $600 on it if i wanted knowing it wont kill my utilization . Plus we all seem to know, not good poking the bear!!Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recommend for people to voluntarily request CLD, especially on multiple accounts. When another lender looks at your reports, they don't know that you voluntarily CLD'd an account - what they see is that another lender dropped your limit. This probably doesn't make them feel too great, and they may get concerned and do the same.

Other alternatives to CLD'ing an account including putting the brakes on CLI's, consolidating or combining accounts, moving credit lines between different accounts, or looking carefully and if some of your accounts duplicate benefits or rewards, closing an account entirely.

Message 19 of 28
Sharingan
Established Contributor

The only time I would ever request a CLD on any of my cards would be at the request of a mortgage loan officer, and even then, I would still probably push back. I can't think of any other reason why I would be inclined to pick up my phone and take time out of my day to request a lower credit line, especially since, as Humu alluded to, specific reasons are not provided on the credit report for any decrease and may create additional problems while not solving any. 

My cards with the largest limits do actually need them, such as my Chase Hyatt, Diners Club Premier, and American Express BCP, so I have no plans of taking up that activity. 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.