cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

tag
RnJ
Contributor

Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

@RnJ wrote:

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

I'm at $20K, so I will definitely not be doing any more 3x CLI's...lol! I think I'm fine with that CL with AmEx. I'll work on the CSP, though.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 25
Zz_JC_zZ
New Contributor

I'm sure some will respond that they chose not to go for the full 3x the 2nd time. I'm guessing mostly they will be people who started w fairly high limits.... It seems like there is a fear by a lot of people to request over the 25k mark, because it is possible at the higher limit requests that Amex would request tax information from you.
Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776

Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Message 3 of 25
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I got a fairly nice initial limit with Amex, so I didn't do a first 3x CLI.  I don't need any additional credit from them right now.  If that changed, I'd ask them to raise my limits again.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 25
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I've never asked for the mythical 3X CLI.  I've never felt the NEED for it and AMEX started me off rather handsomely with my first CL. 

3XCLI may serve a purpose for low starting CL, but they should never be expected or taken for granted.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.   I'm perfectly happy with the CL that I'm at, I really don't NEED more, hence "sitting" on the limit that I have. 

Message 5 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

I haven't tried the 3x CLI either. I'm planning to get another Amex revolver in jan and will try to request for a 3x CLI on that card then.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 25
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@enharu - Getting a new revolver is a good idea! 

I've also given that some thought, since I have the recently departed Clear/Phantom card.  And another revolver would do wonders for my AAofA, backdated to 1991.

What revolver were you thinking about?

Message 7 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@thom02099 wrote:

I've never asked for the mythical 3X CLI.  I've never felt the NEED for it and AMEX started me off rather handsomely with my first CL. 

3XCLI may serve a purpose for low starting CL, but they should never be expected or taken for granted.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.   I'm perfectly happy with the CL that I'm at, I really don't NEED more, hence "sitting" on the limit that I have. 

You're not the average credit consumer thom Smiley Happy.

While I agree the 3X CLI should never be assumed, nor presumed, nor expected, nor taken for granted, for anyone who is trying to build a credit file out of a no-file, thin-file, or mixed-file situation, should certainly consisder an Amex revolver not only for the quality tradeline, but exactly for the Amex shortcut to higher credit limits.

It may not work, but it can and has for the majority of people who frequent this forum anecdotally.  That's certainly true if one's income and spending is above your current limits: Amex can be fantastic as a shortcut in that scenario.

My theory anyway.

        
Message 8 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

The only other revolver that really interests me is the SPG. Was sorta considering the Hilton too but the citi version seems superior. Only reason I haven't applied for the SPG is because the card does charge FTF. Its kinda pointless for me to use that card at international SPG locations simply because the FTF wipes out most, if not all, of the rewards.

So I'm still debating about it in a way.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 25
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

You're not the average credit consumer thom Smiley Happy.

While I agree the 3X CLI should never be assumed, nor presumed, nor expected, nor taken for granted, for anyone who is trying to build a credit file out of a no-file, thin-file, or mixed-file situation, should certainly consisder an Amex revolver not only for the quality tradeline, but exactly for the Amex shortcut to higher credit limits.

It may not work, but it can and has for the majority of people who frequent this forum anecdotally.  That's certainly true if one's income and spending is above your current limits: Amex can be fantastic as a shortcut in that scenario.

My theory anyway.

We're in complete agreement that for those with the file limits you detailed, AMEX is certainly the consideration for maximum credit growth in minimal time.  I sure don't dispute that the 3XCLI are worthwhile. 

Yes, you're right -- I'm not the average credit consumer.  While the 3XCLI is attractive and beneficial for some, it's just not a necessity for me and I'm happily sitting at my current limit.  Will that change in the future?  Maybe!  If I were to also look at another revolver, then my point of view may change, depending on where AMEX starts me on another revolver.  But if they match where I am?  Then I'd be a happy camper and NOT go for a 3XCLI. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.