cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had any luck asking for an APR reduction lately?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone had any luck asking for an APR reduction lately?

CC customers sometimes used to have some success w/this if they’d been paying on time. I haven’t tried it for a while-the only time I did was w/Chase & they stonewalled me-& now with the economy the way it is I’m wondering if anyone’s had any luck w/it. I’m looking for a 0% intro APR card to BT to & wondering if I should even have this as a possibility in the back of my mind or if I should just forget it until the economy improves.

VG to exc scores, no baddies on CRs
Message Edited by dazed on 04-04-2009 08:13 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone had any luck asking for an APR reduction lately?

Go for the Chase Disney card. 0% BT for 12 months with a capped $75 fee. An easy approval. They gave me 20K.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a lot of CC issuers offering 0% intro BT and 0% intro puchases.....and many others offering low apr.

Discover gave me 0% till 4/2010

Alliant Credit Union offered 5.99 BT and no BT fee

PenFed offers 2.99 and fee cap of max $100

CapOne offered various low APR and intro 0% and no BT fee

BoA offered me for past 3 months on my Visa 0% BT till November 2009 (from first offer about 10 months)

BoA now offers me 3.99 BT till November 2009

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-05-2009 04:23 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right-o, thanks for all that info! I ended up apping Citi Platinum,0 APR-I hope-until 4/10. I took Citi over Discover b/c a lot of veterinary clinics (the reason for my wanting a O% intro BT card in the first place, darnit!)  in this area don't take Discover b/c they've had probs w/it. Also Citi has a lower APR than Discover.

Citi’s 8.74% apr isn't bad at all (if I get it & I think I will) it's just that I was thinking about not wanting a high apr on any balance remaining after the intro’s over.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Citi card jumped to 19.99% for no reason whatsoever. Well, maybe it's because they're on the verge of collasing or something... Smiley Happy

Anyway, I called them up and asked them to lower it and they did. In fact, they changed it to an even lower APR than I started with! I went from 13.99% to 19.99% to 10.99%.

I called Chase up for a reduction, but they were only willing to from 23.99% to 21.99%. I guess I'll keep a zero balance on that one. 

Capital One denied me a APR decrease outright. Also keeping a zero balance. Smiley Happy

My FICO's are mid to high 600's, and my last late was over 4 years ago.

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by DrDr on 04-06-2009 02:53 PM
Message 5 of 6
MizzB
Regular Contributor

I called capital one and was able to get my interest rate reduced by 5%.It took three attempts over a two week period, but i finally got a supervisor to reduce my rate. Good luck
*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.