cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had luck using Backdoor number to nudge Citi secured to graduate?

tag
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Has anyone had luck using Backdoor number to nudge Citi secured to graduate?

I have a Citi secured card that I opened exactly 2 years ago with a 1000 dollar deposit.  

At 18 months, I got the dreaded "we're keeping your money hostage for another 12 months ".

I have perfect payment history with them.  Have had heavy usage.  Often PIF, sometimes moderate balance reporting.  Have actually sock-drawers it the last few months since getting approved for my navy cards.

I would really like my thousand bucks back.  I would love to keep a relationship with Citi but not if they're going to keep my money for nothing.

Has anyone had luck pleading their case and getting Citi to graduate their card by talking to someone using the back door number?  If so, what would I say?

If they won't graduate at this point, should I cut bait and move on?  Don't need the account for utilization.  It is one of my oldest cards but I have 4 others that are of the same vintage or older.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone had luck using Backdoor number to nudge Citi secured to graduate?

It looks like you just have 6months to go on their extension - so, I'd weigh a 6month wait against how annoyed you are, how much you could use that money elsewhere (even if it's just liquid savings).    If you can wait out the 6 months it might be worth it (just sock drawer it and forget it until then).  

I'm not going to stan for Citi, but if they do graduate it, the DP can be product changed to most of the rest of their line up (at 6 or 12 months), and you can keep that long line.       I can't entirely say what i would do in your shoes, but I probably woudn't have patience beyond their extension.

As for using the backdoor numbers - I know of people who have called them, and some of them have gotten good information, but I don't think it's worked for graduating the card.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Has anyone had luck using Backdoor number to nudge Citi secured to graduate?

In the countless Citi secured threads that I've come across here and other forums, calling the "backdoor" numbers doesn't nudge unsecuring the card.  It's an automatic and system-driven process -- much like BoA, Discover and NFCU, for example.

You can try it for science, perhaps you can share it with the rest of the community, but I doubt they'll budge based on their current internal policies.

Message 3 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

I am intrigued by your siggy, "lesson learned, don't poke the bear!"  In bold.  

This sort of call would be poking the bear.

If your intent is to close the Citi card, then a call would be appropriate. If it really is only 6 more months, I'd be inclined to avoid bear poking.  Citi might turn into a useful card after graduation. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 8
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Yeah, the poking the bear was learned trying to dispute a synchrony derogatory... caused it to update and appear as if it was a fresh CO as opposed to having occurred over 3 years ago.

I asked the question because when I mentioned this card earlier in the year someone suggested I try the backdoor number.  I guess I'll put down the stick for another 6 months and see what happens.  As I said, would really like to have an in with Citi, though less important than it once was.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 5 of 8
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

I would wait 6 months, then re-evaluate if keeping the account makes sense to you. Calling Citi also seems like poking the bear to me

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 6 of 8
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@FalconSteve 

IMO I would give it 6 months after the time frame and still no Graduation to unsecured close the account and get your deposit.  I remember 11 years ago rebuilding my credit I did a Boa secured deposit Cc and in 1 year my deposit was credited to my checking and Cc was graduated.  

Message 7 of 8
jwa77
Contributor

if your scores are accurate; they are not high enough to get an unsecured card with Citi.  Most of the big banks wants 670+ to extend unsecured credit.  Source: Had a secured card with WF and BofA for nearly 7 years before I finally got them unsecured.   I wish the big banks would work on their advertising for these products--they need to indicate that they are just ways to OPEN a credit card with a **bleep**ty score. You STILL have to play the FICO game in order to bump your score high enough to get in their good graces.  (aka..ensuring no more than 29% is posting when statement cuts, + managing your other accounts in a similar fashion + not having any baddies).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.