cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone heard of this with capital one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone heard of this with capital one?

I made a payment on Wed October 26 and it posted to my account on October 27.

I went to use my card today it was declined.

So I chatted online, and they told me "sometimes we place a hold on your account to ensure a payment will process.

Huh? it was for $195.00....

So I asked when the hold will be lifted, and they said 11/02/2016.

This is an entire week! The payment has already cleared my account.

I really like this card, but if it's going to take an entire week from paying to being able to use my card again, forget it!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone heard of this with capital one?

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

So I chatted online, and they told me "sometimes we place a hold on your account to ensure a payment will process.

I really like this card, but if it's going to take an entire week from paying to being able to use my card again, forget it!

How long have you had the card? Is that the largest payment you have made to them? Just curious, sometimes, a company will hold a payment, but not decline your card. They will just hold it out of your available credit. Id call into CS, ask for a supervisor, and escalate it.  They can remove the hold.  

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

@Cleaningitup2016 wrote:

How long have you had the card? Is that the largest payment you have made to them? Just curious, sometimes, a company will hold a payment, but not decline your card. They will just hold it out of your available credit. Id call into CS, ask for a supervisor, and escalate it.  They can remove the hold.  

+1 -- if it's a new card or an unusual size payment for you or if you've made a lot of payments over the course of the month, they may hold one.  I saw one thread where someone was talking about how they had made a few payments over the course of a billing cycle and the last one went pending for several days.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this done on my Venture card when we made a $2,800 payment. Held onto the payment and the available credit it would have cleared for about 5-7 days before it was added back to my account. I assume they do this to be safe that the funds are real on their end.

Message 4 of 11
sdchrgrboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had this done on my Venture card when we made a $2,800 payment. Held onto the payment and the available credit it would have cleared for about 5-7 days before it was added back to my account. I assume they do this to be safe that the funds are real on their end.

I had this happen when I first got my Venture card, but made a $10k payment.  I called and they were able to call my bank with me on th eline and confimed it had cleared my account.  Hold was released immediately

$325k Total Limits, 4% Util
Message 5 of 11
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

depends, if you push a payment via checking it should not happen and the only way to pay a cc or anything imo.  if you have them pull a payment your results can vary

Message 6 of 11
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yes, as the others have said, this is not that unusual for new accounts or larger than normal payments.  Cap One will clear your payments very quickly once they get to know you.  Also, Cap One is not unique in this; in fact I don't even think they are particularly conservative on this front.  Most lenders will be the same if you are new to them.

Message 7 of 11
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Capital One has put a hold on my payments for anything above $500... normally it can be cleared up by a 3-way call to my bank. Cabelas puts a hold on me for anything above $4,500 and NFCU which I use for business puts a hold on anything above $5,500.
Message 8 of 11
MB2714
Regular Contributor

It's happened to me, and I just had them call the credit union to confirm funds availability on the line, and the hold was immediately removed. However when it has happened to me the payment was always over $500
Chapter 7 Discharge April 2015. .Transunion 662 07/2017
Equifax 652 07/2017
Experian 657 07/2017
Cap One QS $2,200; Cap One QS$2,950; Cap One PSVisa $1,100; Nordstrom Visa $3,500; Target $300; Syncb/Walmart $500; VonMaur $500; Cap1/Saks $500; Barclays MC(AU) $6,400; Buckle $250; Syncb/Car Care (AU) $2,500.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird. haven't had an issue, making 2 x  1k payments a month

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.