cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here gotten sick of credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone here gotten sick of credit cards?

So my question is that:  has anyone here just gotten tired of keeping up with the credit card world?  Do I feel this way as a result of finally having achieved credit card oriented goals?  I remember 3 years ago being here and working on my rebuild and I literally would salivate over the idea of seeing cards at that time I had not chance of.  Today part of me wonder why was I envious?  See a thread that Citi is shipping metal Prestige cards and I am like meh, versus in the past I would have been calling Citi ASAP inquiring about getting my card shipped in metal.

I do not believe this is a temporary phase as I have been feeling this way for a while now.

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone here gotten sick of credit cards?

I've been sick of them for over 25 years and it really bugs me that I can't get a better deal paying cash (most of the time).  But since this is reality, it's a good thing you're sick of it.  It means you probably broke whatever thrill-seeking you used to get from getting a CC approval, or from spending money on a CC that you may not have had in your checking account!

Credit cards, for me, are just a way to earn cash back and rewards on spending I would already do.  I don't use them to buy things I can't afford.  If you're sick of CCs, you probably came to just realize that they can be awesome (benefits) or they can be terrifying (irresponsible usage).

I'm never envious of people  who have "better" cards than me, because I also have seen many people come back to credit repair forums after destroying their credit yet again.  I also know that for every story of someone having a $50,000 credit limit, there are 10 stories of people who are at 95% utilization on that limit, but you don't hear from them.

Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So my question is that:  has anyone here just gotten tired of keeping up with the credit card world?  Do I feel this way as a result of finally having achieved credit card oriented goals?  I remember 3 years ago being here and working on my rebuild and I literally would salivate over the idea of seeing cards at that time I had not chance of.  Today part of me wonder why was I envious?  See a thread that Citi is shipping metal Prestige cards and I am like meh, versus in the past I would have been calling Citi ASAP inquiring about getting my card shipped in metal.

I do not believe this is a temporary phase as I have been feeling this way for a while now.

I don't care about metal being in the card.  I could get approved for anything at 6 months into my rebuild (Well I have to get Chase through my wife due to 5/24).  I like the sign up bonuses.  Once I have worked through all of them I probably will be like you and bored with it and use one card for the 2.05 percent return.   

Well probably not. I will try and get a million dollars in total credit lines.  If I succeed at that I will beomce  bored. 

Message 3 of 39
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't say that I'm sick of them...but I'm no longer seeking additional cards or increases either.  When I first arrived here at the forum, I too, like a lot of folks got caught up in the thrill of being approved for just about anything someone was willing to print my name on regardless of having a need for it or not (never really got on the Comenity wagon though).  I like to think I've grown a ltitle from that stage.  The thrill of being approved for a card is just about gone for me.  I now view them as a tool...something that rewards me for money I was going to spend anyway.  I do enjoy the occasional offer from a lender wo's willing allow me the option of borrowing their money for 0% (less the 2-3% transfer fee) for a period of time. 

As for apping for a card because if it's shape, form, or look, well I never really got into that...mostly because at the time when these cool cards the "in thing" I probably couldn't have gotten approved for them anyway.  But I look at it like this, I can only spend as much as my income allows and my current wallet can only fit 4 cards.  With that being said, the majority of my cards sit in a safe and I hardly even think about them much less look at them.  I check the online accounts occasionally  just to make sure there's no fraud and that's about the extent of it.  I'm sure some lenders will be cutting the limits or even closing the accounts on some of them soon and I'm okay with that as well. 

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me! I joined this forum and was so excited to get approvals but I had too many cards and was falling back into bad appending habits. Now I have no desire for more and the saying that I saw in someone's siggy "T'aint real money ya know" really resonates with me these days.

Message 5 of 39
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, go Woodyman! Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 39
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Since I've been completely focused on increasing my net worth, credit cards have really become an annoyance!  I am a rebuilder (CH13 BK) and I did open a few cc's to help my credit score, but I did not go overboard.  But even with the few cards I have, I only use one card and the rest are at a zero balance with little to no use.

My entire money mindset has changed.  Instead of getting excited about an approval (and I did at the beginning of my rebuild), I get excited seeing my net worth increase.  Credit limits, small or large, mean very little to me right now!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 7 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@luxeprw9 wrote:

My entire money mindset has changed.  Instead of getting excited about an approval (and I did at the beginning of my rebuild), I get excited seeing my net worth increase.  Credit limits, small or large, mean very little to me right now!

One aspect of having a higher net worth DOES involve credit cards, though.  I have a reasonably high net worth and a low FICO score and have for years.  Because there are 2%, 3%, 5% rewards cards out there, I believe I've left over $15,000 in cashback rewards on the table just in the past 7 years.  Based on just the rewards I'm earning on my 1.5% and 2% cards now, I figure I should earn about $2000 in cashback in 2016 alone!  That's money that goes straight to net worth if you're a hardcore saver like I am.

I kick myself for being 100% cash only in the past 7 years, knowing I was spending tens of thousands of dollars on travel and hobbies and getting 0% back for it.

The other important factor for having a high FICO is your insurance rates MAY be affected by having a low FICO.  So that's more money left on the table.

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can relate to OP.  Coming here to the forum for the first time and reading all these stories made me want to raise my scores and apply for cards in order to do so.  It's been a great ride and always apprecaitive of the people here who help each other out.  Right now, the only card that had me excited for the past two weeks was the AMEX Platinum (which i had back when it was $450 AF).  I had bad experiences with it on my trip to Spain, therefore, I'm still debating whether to buy 4 $50 Delta ecards (if the loop hole still exists) then close it or downgrade to green just to keep the history.  Anyways, It does become a bit fustrating trying to keep up with the UTL on all cards and moitor your scores etc.  Reality is, we need this! if we want good credit to buy cars or a house.

At this point of my life (35), with a house and no car payments, i consider myself at a point where i can say im done with CCs.  I'll keep what i have and use them here and there or when i really need to. Not planning on applying for any other CC ever...unless USAA rolls out the 2.5% Limitless Visa card in California.  Until then, no more CCs for me.  I'm tired of CCs i guess lol, but i'll continue to take advantage of the rewards even if it's a few hundred dollars in savings a year.  The best part of all this, is that i can now pass this credit world knowledge to my son when the time comes.

Thanks all!!

Message 9 of 39
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@luxeprw9 wrote:

One aspect of having a higher net worth DOES involve credit cards, though.  I have a reasonably high net worth and a low FICO score and have for years.  Because there are 2%, 3%, 5% rewards cards out there, I believe I've left over $15,000 in cashback rewards on the table just in the past 7 years.  Based on just the rewards I'm earning on my 1.5% and 2% cards now, I figure I should earn about $2000 in cashback in 2016 alone!  That's money that goes straight to net worth if you're a hardcore saver like I am.

I kick myself for being 100% cash only in the past 7 years, knowing I was spending tens of thousands of dollars on travel and hobbies and getting 0% back for it.

The other important factor for having a high FICO is your insurance rates MAY be affected by having a low FICO.  So that's more money left on the table.

Thanks for that info, but I am single with no dependents - my spending is not high at all (and that's with a higher than average salary + quarterly bonuses).   As a BOA Platinum Honors client, I do reap some rewards and bonuses with my card, so I'm not missing out on getting rewards for my regular spend.  But in all honesty, credit card cash back rewards will never be high for me because I'm not a big spender.  So I am happy with just using one card. 

I do understand the benefits of a high credit score and I am working towards that.  My credit score will increase in the next year as my reports will be clean.  

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.