cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone here gotten sick of credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone here gotten sick of credit cards?

When I joined this forum, I was interested in getting a credit card for the rewards. Now that I've got 2 solid everyday rewards cards and I know 2 of the 3 bureau credit scores every other month for free, there's not much else worth getting. I certainly don't need any other cards and don't want to deal with categories or rotating cards that the reward maximizers do. I'm still interested a little in credit line increases just to see how high they'll go, but I doubt I'll ever come near spending $11,000 in a month on any card, so my current limits are realistically more than enough. 

Message 31 of 39
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

It's an addiction / hobby that I spend way too much time on. !

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sick of them, but surely the excitement is gone. I've got all the cards I care to have (and a couple I'm going to get rid of soon). I like using them for the cash back.

I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't mind my limits being a little higher, but for the most part, I've got the cards in my wallet that I set out for a while back and they are doing what they are supposed to do. For that reason, I just don't have any interest in other products.

Message 33 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sick of them, but I have all the cards I want or need, with high limits. There is no more credit card excitement now.

Sometimes I will convert a rewards program if advantageous (like Cap One Dining Card into Quicksilver or Fu into Freedom), but that is all.

I carry three cards and leave one at home.

When I was younger, and gas stations only took their own credit cards (i.e., no Visa or Mastercards, etc.), I thought it was kind of cool (like baseball cards) to have a lot of gas cards (Shell, Amoco, Mobil, Texaco, ARCO, etc.) then I could stop at any gas station and use their particular card. I would have 5-6 gas cards in my wallet (and no other cards) but that is useless since all gas stations take bank cards now.

Message 34 of 39
driftless
Valued Contributor

I still follow my credit reports, etc., because I anticapate applying for RE mortgages over the next couple of years.  I don't churn so any future rewards are going to come from my normal spend rather than sign up bonuses.  I have been an active card closer through my rebuild and I am happy with my cards and CL's.  I am not sick of cc's, if I was I would not be on this forum; rather I am obsessed with maintaining a healthy credit profit and life.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 35 of 39
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I see it as a source of income. I have gotten thousands of dollars back in cash and mileage from churning.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 36 of 39
negg
Frequent Contributor

Not really sick of cc, but I have all the cards I need and zero inquiries on my report and it will stay like that as long as poss.  

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 37 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I joined this forum in the time of my personal rebuilding. My home had gone in to foreclosure (although through a loan mod was able to be saved), my ex husband maxed out our credit cards, and I couldn't have gotten a card to sve my life. Thankfully I didn't have to claim BK, but I did do debt consolidation. Fast forward 3 years after my rebuilding began and I have cards I never thought I could get...but like you the fascination and excitment has worn off. I really only use 1 card, and if I am unable to because it's not accepted then I pull out my backup. I've started closing accounts because I just don't need them anymore and the purpose they served has come and gone. I love this forum and I love the excitment that comes from it, but for me I'm good with what I have Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 39
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kidcat wrote:

Me!  I find myself using 1-2 cards all of the time.  The rest are just sitting here.  I just had 1 reduce my credit limit to $500 due to no use.  I didn't even care, and will probably get around to closing.  I have cards with every major lender, and am slowly dwindling it down to one with each (Chase, Citi, AMEX, BofA, Cap 1, and the 2 store cards I use for the perks)

I have stopped considering how a credit decision suching as closing a card impacts my ability to apply for a future card, and instead just worry about keeping a clean, low utilization credit profile.  I figure if I do this and need new credit, my profile will be fine.   Like you OP- the thrill of the new card is gone.

Which card reduced your limit to $500? That recently happened to me on my Kohls card, but I don't shop there much anymore. So meh. 

REI by US Bank.  I use to shop there regularly when kids were home.  Now that everyone is in college, I never go there.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.