cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has your opinion of Capital One changed?

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Has your opinion of Capital One changed?

It seems that a lot of people, myself included, have gotten lots of love from Capital One. Does this change your opinion of the company? Are they still "crapital one"? Do you think they are at least trying to do the right thing??

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has your opinion of Capital One changed?

IMO they still stink.  I have one, even got the EO to CLI me.  I think it's because I came into their fold as a low-end applicant at the bottom of the credit chain.  For that I should be more appreciative but now that things have improved I feel they aren't growing with me.  The $500 CLI was the dagger for me.  Once I pass the Barclays test I will replace C1 with a better card.

Now had I entered their fold as a Venture cardholder I'd probably have a different opinion.

Message 2 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

They offered me and others credit when many other lenders wouldn't.

They served their purpose but they don't often grow with their consumers. Personally I don't have a problem with that, C1 helped me and regardless of whatever happens to the account I will never let that bother me.

        
Message 3 of 32
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

No. It hasn't changed and I am one of those recent Exec Office Success Stories.

Why?

Because if they weren't the company that they are infamous for being, these overtures to the Exec Office would be unnecessary. As it stands, the company has a culture and apparatus in place that creates the rude, draconian, stubborn and unreachable infrastructure that forces extraordinary measures to get a little decency from it. Hence, the contact to the EO. 

So, no. Capital One still stinks. And I say this as someone who eventually got almost everything I ever asked for from them and eventually had almost every wrong righted. The amount of frustration, time, persistence and energy required for me to get things right is not forgotten despite the fact that I eventually got justice.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 32
eviLution
Established Contributor

Capital One has it's purpose and that's to help out people with bad credit get back on their feet with only a simple annual fee.

Half of last year all I had was prepaid debit cards from AccountNow and now I got almost 5k worth of credit to use. Thanks Capital One Smiley Wink

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 5 of 32
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

If C1's purpose to help out bad credit applicants, they'd be like orchard or some other subprime company. But they have a variety of higher end credit score credit cards so they are more than just a subprime lender. The big flaw with them in their unwillingness to change their approach between the two pools of applicants they deal with. 

They have a strict subprime style with their prime cards. Not good.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 32
MrxLeo
Contributor

Just sent an email to the EO requesting a CLI today. I'll let you know how I feel about them tomorrow. Lol

Starting Score: 609
Current Score: EX: 723 (08/18), TU: 741 (08/15), EQ: 695(08/15)
Goal Score: 785

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 32
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@eviLution wrote:
Capital One has it's purpose and that's to help out people with bad credit get back on their feet with only a simple annual fee.

Half of last year all I had was prepaid debit cards from AccountNow and now I got almost 5k worth of credit to use. Thanks Capital One Smiley Wink

That's only half the story.  Their prime customers are generally happy with their cards. The trouble I see is how the subprime treatment is for most a dead-end street.  To get out of this tier most must apply-up and then close the rebuilder card.

Message 8 of 32
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

No. My opinion of Cap1 has not changed. 

Then again, I'm one of those people who is very grateful they offered me a partially secured product to start my rebuilding journey 18 months ago. 

You see, I totally screwed up my credit when I was younger. To the point that I couldn't do any more damage to it in the last decade because NOBODY would give me credit at all. Cap1 however had a good offer on a secured product ($49/$200) and I gave them a shot.. and in return they helped me get into the position I am in now. 

Over $10k in total credit and a score that is creeping up slowly. 

The only stress I had with Cap1 was before I understood how they deal with payments from now accounts.. sometimes it takes a few days for a payment to post when you're new. Yeah, THAT stressed me out a bit but once I understood the deal it was smooth sailing. 

I *hope* the EO approves my request to give me a CLI and kill the AF on my Cash Rewards card.. but if they don't I will thank them and explain that since Amex just opened an acct for me with a 2k limit and I have a Discover with 1.5k I no longer have a need for a $750 card with an AF and request they close BOTH of my accts. 

No biggie.. I appreciate their help so far... Only now the tables have turned.. they need me much more than I need them Smiley Happy

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 9 of 32
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

It has changed somewhat...there's a shred of hope now, IMO. 

Their biggest problem is not letting their lower-tier customers graduate into "prime" customers. Now it's at least been proven that it CAN happen, but it's really a shame that you must go through the executive office in order to do it. 

If they fix that bridge, and let those of us who start out with little/bad credit graduate into prime customers with better cards, CLI's, etc. then they can be a very good company.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.