Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate towards Discover and Cap1

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Hate towards Discover and Cap1

It seems a bunch of peopel have hate towards discover and Cap1. I just got a Discover and like the matching cash back in the first year and the 5% CB catagories. with the cap one the 1.5% cash is good. the cap one ave a CLI from $3k to $12,500 after 3 months. So i am happy eoth them. Just wonderin why the hate? I do not carry a balance so don't care what the APR is. 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Hate towards Discover and Cap1

The most common source of frustration with Capital One is with starter cards that either don't unsecure or don't escape Low Limit Land. I don't see recurring issues with mainstream Capital One cards that have started with reasonable limits.

With Discover, if there's one common complaint, it's that there's no rhyme or reason when it comes to getting limit increases. Some do really well, and others don't.

Message 2 of 22
grower1
Frequent Contributor

I have both cards, and I don't hate them. I love the Discover and the Cap One has served it's purpose too. It was my 1st credit card. Capital One continues to extend CLIs, however I don't use it because I get much better value from other cards. Everyone's goals/point strategy is different.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

#NailedIt

I hate Discover for this reason and they have forever earned themselves a spot on my "black list" in regards to how their CLI reasoning is one clown short of a circus. It doesn't bother me as much anymore since I have better cards now. When I only had a couple of cards, it really got to me.

@HeavenOhio wrote:

The most common source of frustration with Capital One is with starter cards that either don't unsecure or don't escape Low Limit Land. I don't see recurring issues with mainstream Capital One cards that have started with reasonable limits.

With Discover, if there's one common complaint, it's that there's no rhyme or reason when it comes to getting limit increases. Some do really well, and others don't.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know nothing about cap 1, but I love discover! They gave hubby and I a chance when we first started our credit journey. Unsecured after 7 months and have generally been good to us.
Message 5 of 22
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

I have both.   Use on Cap One QS is dwindling and that card will soon be sock drawered.  I started in Credit Steps on the QS with a 300 SL, instead of he promised 200 CLI in Credit Steps I got 3K instead.   I got another 2K 6 months later so in 9 months I went from CL300 to CL of 5300.  The 1.5% cash back just dosen't compeat with my current cards, but I do like the easy redemption options Cap One offers.

Discover I started at 11.5K then I got 1.5K CLI at 2 months and 4 months, then I got a 2.5K CLI at 5months.  Bringing my total CL to 17,500.   For the last 3 months I have been denied a CLI with the reason Not Eough Experience with Current Credit Limit.   

I can't complaine about either card overall. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Magic🎱 @RemediosSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Magic🎱 @RemediosSmiley Happy

Ha! It was so past due 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 QS CLI's have always been an issue for me. Despite having several cards with 3x the QS limit, they refuse to increase the CL. Apart from that, other cards have better offers. So that card is in my drawer.

Discover IT - always great CLI's, but 5% is not enough to start using it over my CSR. So that one is drawered as well.

Can't say I hate either company and can't comment on other card offerings, but they just dont beat some other cards on the market.

Message 9 of 22
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I haven't used my Disco card in like 6 months. Hit the CLI button and they raised me another $5K to $32.6K. Capital One is my highest CL at $39.5K so I've had very good luck with them. Both cards started at $1K opening trade lines. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.