Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate towards Discover and Cap1

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Hate towards Discover and Cap1

Be glad you don't have a joint Discover CC! Getting a CLI is a major PITA even with great credit/income.

I don't hate Discover, but I'm keenly aware they are moving in a direction that doesn't appeal to me as someone who favors rewards/benefits/service over APRs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I loathe Crapone but I was given 2 bucketed cards and they never ever grew much at all and to get 3 HPs for one of their cards lol.

Disco I am not a huge fan but don't hate them but their CLI policy is beyond riduculous. I get little crumbs here and there. My dd who has had her card a little over 3 months, excellent payment history 760 credit scores get denied for and I quote "high balances on cards" , she puts 85.00 on this card and pays off every month her limit is 1250 and other card zero balance and student loan deferred. Their reasoning is a joke LOL

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 12 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I loathe Crapone but I was given 2 bucketed cards and they never ever grew much at all and to get 3 HPs for one of their cards lol.

Disco I am not a huge fan but don't hate them but their CLI policy is beyond riduculous. I get little crumbs here and there. My dd who has had her card a little over 3 months, excellent payment history 760 credit scores get denied for and I quote "high balances on cards" , she puts 85.00 on this card and pay off ever month her limit is 1250 and other card zero balance and student loan deferred. Their reasoning is a joke LOL

You were given two bucketed cards because of how your credit looked at the time they were issued. 

CapOne starter  cards are snapshot in time. For most, they don't change much. 

While your credit situation has changed, their business model has not. It's working out for them because there will always be people who need to start somewhere. 

Disco works out great for some, and it "sucks" for others. 

That can be said about every lender. 

There is an expectation that Disco will hand out money like candy because they did for a brief period while back. 

That ship has sailed too. 

Message 13 of 22
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

Disco I am not a huge fan but don't hate them but their CLI policy is beyond riduculous. I get little crumbs here and there. My dd who has had her card a little over 3 months, excellent payment history 760 credit scores get denied for and I quote "high balances on cards" , she puts 85.00 on this card and pay off ever month her limit is 1250 and other card zero balance and student loan deferred. Their reasoning is a joke LOL

You were given two bucketed cards because of how your credit looked at the time they were issued. 

CapOne starter  cards are snapshot in time. For most, they don't change much. 

While your credit situation has changed, their business model has not. It's working out for them because there will always be people who need to start somewhere. 

Disco works out great for some, and it "sucks" for others. 

That can be said about every lender. 

There is an expectation that Disco will hand out money like candy because they did for a brief period while back. 

That ship has sailed too. 

Oh I completely agree that's how Cap one saw me, they served their purpose and I have moved on and just don't care for them as an overall bank, much better ones out there. 

Business is business and I just choose not to do it with them anymoreSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 14 of 22
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I still have my pretend Quicksilver, with pretend $500 limit and sometimes I pretend to use it.

I'll let it go one day...
Message 15 of 22
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OP. Cap1 and Disco get some ill will feelings from many. They get alot of attention on here. BUT. I have not seen a credit card company or their products not get trashed by someone. Not 1. Just so happens they lead the field. Rebuilders get you to where you want to be at. Secured or unsecured. I am thankful for the start and it lead to bigger/better things. Then it was time to say so long. See my RIP below. On the other hand. Some forget who got them where they are at now and then turn around and moan about it. Without Cap1 and Disco some of us would be SOL and stuck in who knows what predators company grasp. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some of us had to go the Cap1/Disco route. No choice. Personally from a $2000 Cap1 Plat to a total of $54,000 CL's with them both. No complaints from me.

Message 16 of 22
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Discover is quite possibly my favorite financial institution, period. I love their cashback banking and interest-earning savings products, and their It card was my first approval out of BK. I do also like Capital One, but Low Limit Land does suck. Thankfully I have one card with them that is in the four digit range. Hope the other will follow suit soon.
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 17 of 22
iced
Valued Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

It seems a bunch of peopel have hate towards discover and Cap1. I just got a Discover and like the matching cash back in the first year and the 5% CB catagories. with the cap one the 1.5% cash is good. the cap one ave a CLI from $3k to $12,500 after 3 months. So i am happy eoth them. Just wonderin why the hate? I do not carry a balance so don't care what the APR is. 

I don't really dislike either company, but neither offer anything competitive enough to even be on my radar.

Capital One was also the employer of the single rudest customer service agent I've ever had the misfortune of encountering, so anything they eventually do offer will either need to be so overwhelmingly great as to help me forget that agent or come with a written apology and copy of said agent's termination. Not holding my breath on either ever happening.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I looooved Discover when I first got my card in 2016. I made use of Discover Deals and saved a heck of a lot on money on my iPad and a Coach purchase. Also, I made use of the protections previously provided, such as price protection. My first Discover card, the It, has grown quite nicely from $5,500 to $19,500. No complaints there. But now, I won’t use the card for big purchases anymore since they have taken away all the benefits offered by the card. Moving those types of purchases over to AmEx. Also, my second card, the Miles card, seems to be stuck at $3;500. This month ends the 1 year double cash back. So I will only use the card for flight WiFi reimbursement. Still like the company, but it doesn’t fit my needs like it used to.

I know it’s not popular here. But I really like Cap 1. I burned them in my bankruptcy for 5 figures. They gave me another chance-the first after my bankruptcy. And now, my credit limit is higher on this card than the one that went into bankruptcy.  Also, I love their instant notifications and fraud protection. I am out of the country 8 to 10 months out of the year. So this is important to me. They have caught fraud before I did. I have not had a problem when I have called or chatted with customer service. Redemptions are easy. No foreign transaction fees. For the most part,  Capital One has been good to me. I rock with them!Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 22
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

It's probably because they tend to be more cautious, as their borrowers tend to be in the less affluent demographic. They both have been in the news lately for this reason. The hatred comes from people who are "categorized" and treated by them this way.

I hated Cap1 for this reason recently (I received an automated "general" CLI decline message that doesn;t make sense, for 3 months), but I like them in general. I do banking with them, and consider the fact that even though my first card comes from them, it was not bucketed as I orginally thought it was.

If there is a bank I hate, it's most definitely Barclays. They seem to be "disconnected".

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.