cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have UW standards relaxed anywhere with Covid-19?

tag
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Have UW standards relaxed anywhere with Covid-19?

I really would like a BT card so I can transfer the last of my Discover card balance before the 0% intro rate ends, but have any banks relaxed their underwriting standards? I know US Bank is heavily marketing their Platinum cards (Personal & Business) for 20 months with 0% interest.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have UW standards relaxed anywhere with Covid-19?

With what's going on, I don't see relaxed UW in the cards. Perhaps with terms could be met with existing lenders, heck Citi and Disco are always offering BT's. I just don't see it happnening on new accounts. As others have said if you have a strong profile it's likely business as usual, but if you don't then it might be a tad tougher. Who knows.

I know this may seem like a weird move by some, but in the past I have totally paid off a BT right before the 0% expiration date from savings.

Then I just take out another 0% BT to replace it. While i don't really advocate this beacuse it can just cause you to be in a constant BT shuffle, it works in a  pinch.

Or if you belong to a CU, just transfer from their CC with no fees to pay it off. Then BT back to Discover for the next 0%. I've done that before as well. And since the interest is so low at CU's, the most you'd pay before the balance tranfers is a couple bucks. At mine it was only $0.97.

Message 2 of 14
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Not in my experience so far, but as you can see in my signature. I have a TON of INQ, half of them are unscorable from car shopping Nov 2018. But I also have 1 negative left that a quite a few new accounts in the last 6 months. 

With stronger profile, I'm sure there would be more options. The US bank platinum was on my list also. HSBC has the gold card for 18 months 0% right now too. 

Message 3 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@macinjosh wrote:

I really would like a BT card so I can transfer the last of my Discover card balance before the 0% intro rate ends, but have any banks relaxed their underwriting standards? I know US Bank is heavily marketing their Platinum cards (Personal & Business) for 20 months with 0% interest.

@macinjosh, You should be able to transfer some or all depending on the amount? .. to your PenFed PCR

and it can be done on the website. I have no idea if this would help you.

Message 4 of 14
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@macinjosh wrote:

@macinjosh, You should be able to transfer some or all depending on the amount? .. to your PenFed PCR

I did a BT to my PCR. I limited myself to $4300 with transfer fee so my Util wasn't too high. I really wish Citi would give me a BT offer on my Best Buy Visa. I really should call them, but I haven't had time.

Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200

Message 5 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

You and I are in the exact same boat. Trying to move balance off Disco before the 0 runs out. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

You and I are in the exact same boat. Trying to move balance off Disco before the 0 runs out. 

I almost posted the link to your thread.

Message 7 of 14
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Have you tried the BB&T prequalifier? They have a BT card called the Bright card and their Cash rewards card also does a BT offer as well. You can check and see the terms/credit line before applying, so maybe try that and see what happens?

https://www.bbt.com/offers/checkOffers

Message 8 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@macinjosh wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@macinjosh wrote:

I did a BT to my PCR. I limited myself to $4300 with transfer fee so my Util wasn't too high. I really wish Citi would give me a BT offer on my Best Buy Visa. I really should call them, but I haven't had time.

I didn't see PCR in your siggy?

How much is your PCR limit? How much total was on your Discover Balance? 

As noted up thread, the tactic of moving a balance temporarily to a CU or other no-BT Fee card is... it is temporary.  You give it a week then BT it back to the better BT offer card. You time it to all occur within a statement period so ideally it does not pop up as a spike balance in your reporting. 

Unless you are me, in which case the spike in utilization on a statement is not something I worry about.  Utilization has no memory and fades with time. The spike in utilization sort of remains on your reports as an indication you have larger balances. Combined with never missing any payments, some of us believe that voodoo helps future apps for CC.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If anything I think the opposite - lending standards are probably tightening up, not relaxing. Banks are trying to cut expenses and reduce risk. It would make little sense to relax underwriting right now.

Instead of opening a new account with potentially a weak starting limit, you could try working with your lender on your existing balance. Perhaps the rate can be extended, or at least you could be offered a reduced rate for x amount of time. I'd try that before attempting to open a new account at the moment.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.