cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have more than 1 type of the same card? Should I close?

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Have more than 1 type of the same card? Should I close?

Hi All - Over the years I've picked up quite a few cards along the credit journey. I know have 2 of the following: Citi Hilton Visa, Citi Double Cash, Capital One QuickSilver, USAA WWP (on Amex, one MC). This year I have decided to lay off the credit apps (let inqs fall off, accounts age, etc) and am interested in pruning a few of these. Any reason why I would want to keep two of the same card?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Have more than 1 type of the same card? Should I close?

If there's no AF, no reason really to close them. Duplicate cards, not a reason.

The USAA AMEX vs MC does not count as a duplicate.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If something has capped rewards at a certain threshold and you go over that spending threshold would be the number one reason that pops into my head. With the cards you have I would assume utilization is not a huge factor. Put the cards into a spreadsheet, guesstimate your spending (or use one of the spending trackers for a few months) and see where you stand. I'm a simple kind of guy so the easier it can be the better.

Message 3 of 5
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If something has capped rewards at a certain threshold and you go over that spending threshold would be the number one reason that pops into my head. With the cards you have I would assume utilization is not a huge factor. Put the cards into a spreadsheet, guesstimate your spending (or use one of the spending trackers for a few months) and see where you stand. I'm a simple kind of guy so the easier it can be the better.

Thanks for that feedback. I'll probably chill for a bit and re-evaluate over the summer to figure out what I could cut. I'd love to merge these lines with other existing cards but that seems like something issues are less likely to do nowadays. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

If there's no AF, no reason really to close them. Duplicate cards, not a reason.

The USAA AMEX vs MC does not count as a duplicate.

I guess I do agree the Amex and MC aren't really duplicates. I'd rather just have one USAA card with the large line but they don't consolidate lines anymore.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.