cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you bought a car with your card?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Have you bought a car with your card?

@KLEXH25 wrote:

My dealership had a $5k max for credit card transactions. I had to use my debit card at the time because I didn't have any limits that high. 

For many dealers this does seem to be a common cap for new purchases.  I always negotiate a price prior to settling payment to ensure that among other things, CC fees are not part of the negotiation.   I was allowed to pay $5,000 of the down payment for the last 3 cars I bought at 3 different dealers.

Message 11 of 26
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I bought a $9000.00 1969 Camaro in My early 20's on Cash AdvancesSmiley Tongue

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That happened to me once several years ago, needless to say I had to pay it back immediately due to the high interest rate on advances! 

I'm glad that dealers don't run it as a Cash Advance anymore. lol

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never done it but I would if I could get points or cash back for it. The problem is, as you alluded to, he probably paid for those rewards in the price he paid so getting a better price is preferable over credit card rewards. Doubt I'll ever use a card to pay for a car in full.

Message 14 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never done it but I would if I could get points or cash back for it. The problem is, as you alluded to, he probably paid for those rewards in the price he paid so getting a better price is preferable over credit card rewards. Doubt I'll ever use a card to pay for a car in full.

@Anonymous  we're in agreement on something.  Screenshot time? 

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember a similar thread about this months ago.

What does screenshot time mean? Lol

Message 16 of 26
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ A picture will last a life time.

Message 17 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember a similar thread about this months ago.

What does screenshot time mean? Lol

Ha! Just a joke. We're finally in agreement on something, so I figured might as well save it for posterity.  

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I once stayed in a Holiday Inn using my card.......Does that count?   lolSmiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 26
Croakmatic
Valued Member

Regarding dealerships capping card payment at $3000-$5000, besides the transaction fee eating into profits, many dealerships are worried about disputes.  Buy a car entirely on a credit card, and you have more  "recourse for remorse", whereas if you pay cash, finance or lease for at least part of the balance, then you're generally stuck with the car, all sales are final, etc.   

There's also concern about fraud, obviously, and people buying on credit cards just to "rent" something cool for a few days and then and return with a threat to dispute if they don't unwind the deal.  The dealership now has a car with more miles and more wear, plus real and opportunity costs.  It's kind of like the old  "superbowling" a TV on credit and returning it after the big game (popular back when big screens were much more expensive). 

But the guy that whips out the Centurion to buy a new BMW is an easy exception.  The dealership can get a guarantee from Amex for those select customers so there's no worry about a chargeback, plus they might get a break on the transaction fee (or simply have enough margin to eat it, or pass it back on the customer).  

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.