cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you bought a car with your card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have you bought a car with your card?

I bought my Daughter's used car with my Amex. It was not very expensive though, $8,000ish. I've also used my Amex for down payments on cars, as much as $10,000. I've had a dealer on the phone tell me they cap cards at 2-5k. When I'm in the showroom, they seem to be way more flexible. 

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it all depends on how much the fee comes out to, eating a few hundred for the sale of a new car that's already got plenty of fees added to it. Not so bad. But when someone rund $20K, $40K, or $80K through it, that's a considerable much higher swipe fee. Then again I'm not sure how many consumers are even aware of said swipe fees on CC's, or how they would tell if the dealer compensated for them with other "add-ons". How many people actually go through the paperwork and understand cost breakdown? 

Someone who can buy an $80K car with cash likely doesn't concern themselves with certain expenses/costs that others would. Another aspect is that this could have been on a Business card and the person might be writing it off.

I remember a story a friend told me about his father and selling his business, and that it was the happiest he'd seen him ever. Long story short, he was paying his personal mortgage off with Company funds. 

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The most I would try to use would be 5k as a down payment and would pay it off within a week or so 

Would really be beneficial with a new card that had bonus points for spending a certain amount withim 90 days etc. And that's when I'm going to spend it anyways 

Message 23 of 26
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

Never bought a car with a credit card before (I don't have any credit limits high enough, and even all my CL's combined wouldn't cover the cost of almost any new car). But I did pay a $10k car repair bill at a shop using 2 credit cards one time. That car "repair" was almost the cost of a car!

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 24 of 26
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Bought a Honda Grom on a credit card Smiley Happy The last few car dealerships I have been at had either a $2,500 limit for credit card (Honda) or a $5,000 limit (Kia and Jeep).

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 25 of 26
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

Bought a Honda Grom on a credit card Smiley Happy The last few car dealerships I have been at had either a $2,500 limit for credit card (Honda) or a $5,000 limit (Kia and Jeep).

No problem, just run my card 17 times for that new Honda Accord! Smiley Very Happy

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.