cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

tag
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

Re: Have you decided not to apply because of an ugly card???

@Themanwhocan wrote:

No, the credit card's looks wouldn't prevent me from applying.

+1 --> the benefits is the kicker for me. If the card looks nice, that's a bonus!

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 11 of 61
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

BOA has always mailbox bombed me to get their Cash Rewards Card with the 3% 2% 1% structure.. I could never pull the trigger because I thought the card was just plain ugly. Has anyone else ever decided not to pull the trigger because a card is ugly ( yea I know it's vain but what's life without a little vanity). Or coveted a card because of its looks?? I really wanted an AMEX clear but never got one..

I haven't really not apped because of the looks, but BOA's cards are kind of ugly...maybe basic is a better word. My Better Balance Rewards looks like the Cash Rewards, and both look like a basic debit card. However, I have received preapprovals from BOA for a University of Michigan Alum Assoc and a Detroit Tigers card (both with 3/2/1 reward structure). They look much better than the regular card, but in the end I didn't need another card so I didn't app.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 12 of 61
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

hmmm im not sure on this one, the CAP1 card was ugly so I changed it to my wedding picture, but regarding turning down a card altogether because of it? - no, i never have, in the same way i guess that if i needed to borrow money from an individual - i would care if they were crisp $50's or wrinkled up lol

Message 13 of 61
enharu
Super Contributor

I'm not one who would apply for a card just because it looks nice, but I may stay away from a card that looks exceptionally ugly however, unless the rewards / sign-up bonus are THAT compelling for me to want to ignore its appearance.

One good example: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

I would be very hesitant about using this card in front of business partners purely just to avoid weird looks from them. I can easily get 3CCP out of each UR, so even a 1UR per dollar purchase on my CSP will still net me more value than a 2% cashback card in general. Otherwise, the 2% cashback for everything is a nice touch.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 61
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I would never apply for a card with a hideous card design....

This is one of the reasons why i've stayed away from FIA Amex and Priceline card....

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

I'm not one who would apply for a card just because it looks nice, but I may stay away from a card that looks exceptionally ugly however, unless the rewards / sign-up bonus are THAT compelling for me to want to ignore its appearance.

One good example: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/american-express-cards

I would be very hesitant about using this card in front of business partners purely just to avoid weird looks from them. I can easily get 3CCP out of each UR, so even a 1UR per dollar purchase on my CSP will still net me more value than a 2% cashback card in general. Otherwise, the 2% cashback for everything is a nice touch.

LOL... now that's funny enharu.  I've used this one many a times and I've yet to see anyone's face go aghast just from its pure looks - even with business clients.  But I guess it all depends on the business, the clients and location...

Message 16 of 61
Slab
Frequent Contributor

I have found that the only ugly cards are the cards that I am not qualified for.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 17 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Of course, if you're a die-hard UFC fan, why not get this one...right?  Ron do you have this one in your collection?  LOL  Robot LOL

Message 18 of 61
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Or, for someone who absolutely has become entrenched with WOW, then the possibilities are endless... any takers?

Message 19 of 61
CREDITSURFER
Frequent Contributor

i think its silly to app or not to app for a card based on its design. should be because of its rewards.

Mouse over for CL
FICO EQ (670) 9/6, TUwalmart (725) 11/4, Discover FICO (725) 11/19, AMEX EX Pull (728) 11/29
GOAL: 750 with all
Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.