cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever tried paying your CC with a debit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have you ever tried paying your CC with a debit card?

@Dalmus wrote:
Some debit cards have rewards. I have one myself, but I only earn rewards on non-PIN transactions.

Thanks for responding. Smiley Happy  Still a nice deal that it earns some kind of rewards.  My debit cards earns....zilch!  LOL!

Message 21 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone!

Since a debit card is usually tied to a checking account, I was wondering if anyone used their debit card to pay a CC?  In particular, has anyone tried doing this with:

• American Express
  • Discover
  • USAA
  • Citi
  • PenFed
  • NFCU ?

Thank you inadvance. Smiley Happy

Some lenders may have that as an option if you call in, but AFAIK, that isn't typically offered online.  

Some store cards all debit card payments in-store.   I've been able to do this with Target.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone!

Since a debit card is usually tied to a checking account, I was wondering if anyone used their debit card to pay a CC?  In particular, has anyone tried doing this with:

• American Express
  • Discover
  • USAA
  • Citi
  • PenFed
  • NFCU ?

Thank you inadvance. Smiley Happy

Some lenders may have that as an option if you call in, but AFAIK, that isn't typically offered online.  

Some store cards all debit card payments in-store.   I've been able to do this with Target.

Thanks for the info!  Smiley Happy  Yeah, it turning out that way.  Seems odd to me.  I wonder why banks don't allow it though. I mean, it's tied to a checking account for crying out loud.  Oh well, atleast I know. Smiley Wink

It does seem that USAA will allow me to pay my CC with them with a CC from another bank.  Wasn't expecting that!  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

MILO,

It's based in Dallas and if you're in CA then you should hunt down an account that's opent o enrollment there.  I found this one on www.depositaccounts.com under checking / rewards checking.  Depending on what you keep on hand in cash the next best would be Consumers in IL they're open to enrollment online through their partner group that's listed to join for membership.  Otherwise there's plenty of others that are open that pay a pretty good Yield in comparison to your 1%'ers you see advertised online in flashing banners.

Consumers in IL seems really good, maxing out at 4.59% on up to $20K.  Need 12 debits per month, +1 depoist/bill pay/ACH debit, and $1000 charge on their credit card

(which can be their 3/2/1 grocery/gas/everthing card which isn't too bad)

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Fingerhut lets you pay your credit account with either debit or credit cards. I usually pay with my credit card to earn the cashback

I think Kohl's now allows you to pay your Kohls charge in store with a debit card.

I hope this info helped...

I also have tons of ACH transactions happening..... I got cashback checking from Discover hoping to earn rewards when I paid my bills, however, most credit card companies electronify my checks and do not accept debit, so my cashback checking is useless. 

Thanks for responding. Smiley Happy

Are those payments not coming through your cashback checking account as ACH?  If so, I'm surprise your cashback checking doesn't give you rewards for it.  Does this mean the cashback on the checking account is only good for debit transactions and checks not processed electronically then? That really sucks! So sorry. Smiley Sad  

Yes they only give the cash back for debit transactions and physical checks that are cashed, not ACH transfers, I could earn the rewards for using bill pay but I don't think it is worth the hassle.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.