Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Amex is not COMPULSORY - and why I have one

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Having Amex is not COMPULSORY - and why I have one

MidnightVoice wrote:

Actually, Amex is not one of the cards I carry with me.  I have 3 cards that have specific purposes that do not include regular use, so I have lightened my wallet  Smiley Happy

It also means that those at home are waaay easier to track!  They all have regular payments on them, so they do get used

What three cards do you carry and what do you use them for?
Message 21 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have 3 at home - Amex for the future and utilities, Chase United for charity and my daughter and B&N for books I carry two - Junny gas for everything and low APR CU for emergencies
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 22 of 55
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

A good thread.  It's a shame that new-er AMEX cardlholders feel gun shy in using the card.  It's there to help you, not make your life miserable.  I've never had any problems with it, but I've been with them a long time.  I now use my Optima card as a funding source on my Paypal account.  I figure if that doesn't raise a red flag nothing will.  I use it mainly to pay for expensive watches and stereo equipment (expensive hobby Smiley Happy).  I've charged up to $7k a month on eBay purchases, paid via Paypal, and have never had as much as a blink from AMEX.  I still say age of account is the best thing to have with AMEX.  That just can't be rushed, unfortunately.  Best advice I would give is just use it wisely, pay it on time, and let it age like a good bottle of wine.  AMEX is very easy to work with once you have the relationship thing established.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 07-25-2008 09:28 PM
Message 23 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't like Amex and the only reason the account hasn't been closed is the same reason I still got my my Target CC and that because of no annual fee and because of utility. I read about people saying what you can and what you can't do once you get an Amex CC and I think to myself why would someone stress over them. They need you more than you need them. They f/r'ed me twice and I told the rep on the phone if they felt like they needed to do it again they can just close my account. Personally with my new cards I just see my Amex card as 1 of my rebuilding cards and eventually it will make it's way out of the sock drawer to the shredder then it's final resting place the trash. I'll shred Amex and Target together and then this stupid hsbc discover.
Message 24 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel so bad. This guy in front of me at Target... his AMEX Blue was declined. He was soooooo embarrassed! I was like "hey dont worry about it. they're bipolar with me, as well." well not really.. amex loves me... but i didn't know what to say. Smiley Sad
Message 25 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
A good thread.  It's a shame that new-er AMEX cardlholders feel gun shy in using the card.  It's there to help you, not make your life miserable. .......  AMEX is very easy to work with once you have the relationship thing established.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 07-25-2008 09:28 PM

I think all CCCs are a little leery at the moment, especially Amex. And as I have very specific reasons for wanting an Amex, I am quite happy to be very careful with it for a while.

And apart from that, it is not one I would normally use a great deal anyway. I concentrate on my Gas Back card for most routine things
Message 26 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

thatdoodjohn wrote:
I feel so bad. This guy in front of me at Target... his AMEX Blue was declined. He was soooooo embarrassed! I was like "hey dont worry about it. they're bipolar with me, as well." well not really.. amex loves me... but i didn't know what to say. Smiley Sad

As long as I know it is not due to being maxed out, I don't mind!!
Message 27 of 55
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ouch. Poor guy. He's probably just some unsuspecting guy that has no idea what an FR is, or how Amex can be sometimes.

I would have mentioned the fico forums to him. Or to Google Amex FR.
Here we go again...
Message 28 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I *should* have mentioned myFICO to this poor unsuspecting guy lol.
Message 29 of 55
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:
I see a lot of people complaining about Amex and how they work, and I freely admit they are strange.  But to be blunt, if you don't like the company, don't use their products.  It is not a requirement for survival.  Smiley Very Happy

I don't need an Amex yet, but in the future I will want to have one.  I have family in the US and Europe, but currently nearly all my air fares are paid by frequent flyer miles and all my hotel bills are paid via hotel points.  However, that will change when I retire, and I will have to pay for myself.  When that happens, I want to do it via Amex, collect the rewards, and have Amex backing me up when I have problems anywhere.  When I buy another computer, I want their extended warranty and initial loss protection. 

So I got an Amex last year (Blue).  I will use it every month, I will PIF, I will tell them when I do anything out of pattern.  I am willing to do that for several years, so I have a perfect record with them and keep them happy.  I will jump through a few very minor hoops (and their CSRs are friendly, know their business and are helpful, and I never have to wait for long to talk to one) in order to establish that relationship.  I do not need an Amex to pay for a cup of coffee in the wilds of some state where the local shop is too small to take it.  I want it for regular bills and the major costs of travel.  For other stuff I have other cards, I use Amex for safe things.

I am willing to do this.  I knew their flaws before I applied, and decided the advatages were worth the trouble.  But. like any company, if you don't like their products, go to their competitors.

Smiley Happy

Just thought I would remind everyone!1  Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.