cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a Credit Card w/ Cell Phone Protection?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Having a Credit Card w/ Cell Phone Protection?

@cjesser15 wrote:

I can give my personal experience with this.  I used to use my Wells Fargo card for precisely this reason and had a good experience overall.  I had 1 claim for a water damaged Samsung Galaxy S5.  They do make you jump through some hoops.  In addition to paperwork I was required to send in multiple photos and the purchase receipt from the phone.  They also made me go to a local repair shop and get an estimate for repairs.  Finding a local repair shop that would give me a written estimate was actually very tricky and time consuming.  Once I got everything to them, they cut me a check. I want to say it was like $600 minus the small deductible.  Had the estimate determined it was fixable I'm sure they would have given me less.  

Overall I would recommend it.  Was it a hassle?  Yes, but it was totally worth it.  The only reason I don't use it anymore is my family stopped buying phones directly from the carriers (and last time I checked that is a required, I'd be happy to hear if that has changed).  Hope that helps in some way.  

Thanks, I did not know that.  If that's the case, it would likely be of no use to a gentleman such as myself. 

Message 11 of 18
cjesser15
Contributor

I went ahead and checked the current terms and conditions and under the "what is not covered" section it says:

"Replacement Cellular Wireless Telephone not purchased from a cellular service provider’s retail or
Internet store or other authorized cell phone retailer."

Feel like that could be interpreted a couple ways but just wanted to share why I was under that impression.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cjesser15 wrote:
I went ahead and checked the current terms and conditions and under the "what is not covered" section it says:

"Replacement Cellular Wireless Telephone not purchased from a cellular service provider’s retail or
Internet store or other authorized cell phone retailer."

Feel like that could be interpreted a couple ways but just wanted to share why I was under that impression.

I think their terms are a little unclear. I mean I know of someone who used their WF card and their phone was purchaed like new from swappa.com  it was an open box and had been previously active on another account. but WF still reimbursed the max amount.

The World Propel would be the card to get first, since you get over $600 free the first year, then downgrade to the no AF version at 12 months. Then at 16 months you apply for the cashwise if you want another $200 and make your existing rewards worth 1.5x for flights.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cjesser15wrote:

I can give my personal experience with this.  I used to use my Wells Fargo card for precisely this reason and had a good experience overall.  I had 1 claim for a water damaged Samsung Galaxy S5.  They do make you jump through some hoops.  In addition to paperwork I was required to send in multiple photos and the purchase receipt from the phone.  They also made me go to a local repair shop and get an estimate for repairs.  Finding a local repair shop that would give me a written estimate was actually very tricky and time consuming.  Once I got everything to them, they cut me a check. I want to say it was like $600 minus the small deductible.  Had the estimate determined it was fixable I'm sure they would have given me less.  

Overall I would recommend it.  Was it a hassle?  Yes, but it was totally worth it.  The only reason I don't use it anymore is my family stopped buying phones directly from the carriers (and last time I checked that is a required, I'd be happy to hear if that has changed).  Hope that helps in some way.  

Can you please describe you experiance with submitting the claim? they asked for the bill of the broken phone or of the new phone that you paid as a replacement. I'm interested in this CC stickly because of this perk so i'm interested in every detail. Thank you.

Message 14 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Barclays Uber Visa offers cell phone protection up to $600 minus a deductible of $25. Limited to 2 claims per year. The card has no AF.
Compared to getting even 5% cash back with another card, I think the benefit is great despite the fact that I only get 1% back on the monthly charges. I have a family plan of 6 lines with newer iPhones, so if one of my daughters breaks her phone, it could save me $575 to replace it. Getting $575 in cash back would take years on cell phone bill payments.
Message 15 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Hey everyone! I was wondering what you guys think about having a credit card that offers cell phone protection? Currently none of my cards offer it and I was thinking it would be something that would come in handy especially coming from someone who has had their fair share in phone issues. 

I was eyeing the Wells-Fargo Cash Wise card and it seems like the best option that also offers a $200 sign-up bonus. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea to have at least 1 card that offers cell phone insurance/protection? 

I just noticed in your signature that you do have the Uber Visa. You do already have this benefit. No need for another card unless you really want to get it.

Message 16 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Never mind. I just realized that the original post is from last year when there was no Uber Visa.
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a Navy Federal Credit Card and you pay your cell phone bill with the card, you have cell phone insurance. It covers if the phone stops working like you can't make phone calls, not if you crack your screen.

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/cell-phone-insurance.php

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.