Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having both the CSR and Amex Platinum for $300 AF total

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having both the CSR and Amex Platinum for $300 AF total

What do you guys think about having both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum? I kind of feel like they work as a combo. I mean the CSR covers you on trip delays and cancellcations, gets you 3x on dining, has broader general travel covers for points like subways, taxis, airbnb, parking meters, etc. All of that the amex platinum doesnt cover, then the Amex Platinum has the Centurion lounges and the 5x Flights and Hotels, FHR perks, etc. All that the CSR doesn't have. I feel like whatever the CSR and Amex Platinum has, it doesnt overlap much which means they kind of complement each other. Its like CSR can be your dining card  and all other travel related for 3x pts when you travel and Amex Platinum can be your lounge and perks and flights booked card. 

Both together will have a $1,000 Annual fee. BUT......is it safe to say its really only $300 AF for both? That sounds like a great deal. What do yall think?

(Amex $200 airline credit/$200 Uber = $150 AF  &  Chase $300 travel credit= $150 AF)

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Having both the CSR and Amex Platinum for $300 AF total

If you will use all those benefits and can afford the AFs, go for itSmiley Wink.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

YMMV for sure. Do you run the math on spending and benefits versus what a no AF rewards card nets you? If you make $0.01 more from the AF cards (accounting for fees), there's no debate.

For me, my travel expenses are about 800% more than groceries, dining and gas so I wouldn't have a use for a card or cards that reward dining, groceries or gas. I think I spent about $4000 last year total on the three categories, but almost 10x that on travel!

Also always make sure to note any ceilings on spend categories! I doubt a card with an AF has ceilings on spend but it's important to track.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have those two plus several others that have similar AFs so if their benefits are something that you can use (means that you travel) then by all means keep both.   While both high end travel cards they have different benefits and rewards partners so they are both unique enough to justify having the two together.

Message 4 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you guys think about having both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum? I kind of feel like they work as a combo. I mean the CSR covers you on trip delays and cancellcations, gets you 3x on dining, has broader general travel covers for points like subways, taxis, airbnb, parking meters, etc. All of that the amex platinum doesnt cover, then the Amex Platinum has the Centurion lounges and the 5x Flights and Hotels, FHR perks, etc. All that the CSR doesn't have. I feel like whatever the CSR and Amex Platinum has, it doesnt overlap much which means they kind of complement each other. Its like CSR can be your dining card  and all other travel related for 3x pts when you travel and Amex Platinum can be your lounge and perks and flights booked card. 

Both together will have a $1,000 Annual fee. BUT......is it safe to say its really only $300 AF for both? That sounds like a great deal. What do yall think?

(Amex $200 airline credit/$200 Uber = $150 AF  &  Chase $300 travel credit= $150 AF)

I always saw them more as overlapping than complimentary. Most of the insurances are on both, and 3x UR points are more valuable (to me anyway) that 5 MR points. The centurion lounge and priority pass lounges are both garbage, so those cancel each over out/overlap. Chase's LHR and the FHR are also garbage and also cancel each other out.

The Uber benefit is nice and I would cap it in January each year if it wasn't spread out. There's your big distinction between the two cards...does it warrant the extra AF? You decide.

Message 5 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I always saw them more as overlapping than complimentary. Most of the insurances are on both, and 3x UR points are more valuable (to me anyway) that 5 MR points. The centurion lounge and priority pass lounges are both garbage, so those cancel each over out/overlap. Chase's LHR and the FHR are also garbage and also cancel each other out.

The Uber benefit is nice and I would cap it in January each year if it wasn't spread out. There's your big distinction between the two cards...does it warrant the extra AF? You decide.

Another man's trash and all that.....

I have the Amex Plat specifically for the lounge access. The 5Xs points don't really mean anything to me as I have to use my corporate card to pay for travel. Any personal travel is dones with miles. I use the Uber and Airlilne credit so paying $150 a year for Delta Sky Club, Centurion, and Priority Pass is well worth it to me. Although I'll be wearing my hazmat suit from now on when using the Centurion Lounges...Just sayin.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSR has trip cancellation/trip delay/ lost luggage, and also  primary coverage for car rentals. Correct me if I'm wrong but amex platinum doesn't have this, I believe they both work well together and don't overlap when traveling cause they both together cover pieces of the pie.  For me I think the $300 annual fee ( and even lower if you really take advantage of the perks all the time) for both cards  total pays for itself . 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSR has trip cancellation/trip delay/ lost luggage, and also  primary coverage for car rentals. Correct me if I'm wrong but amex platinum doesn't have this, I believe they both work well together and don't overlap when traveling cause they both together cover pieces of the pie.  For me I think the $300 annual fee ( and even lower if you really take advantage of the perks all the time) for both cards  total pays for itself . 

I would go with your instinct and get both.  As for the Centurion Lounges, while they may get crowded at times, they are from garbage.  Not sure what he's comparing them to but I've spent a lot of time in them and they were great.  I've also taken advantage of the Amex FHR hotels last year at a Ritz Carlton in LA while on the way to Australia and it was fantastic.  Guaranteed 4 PM check out which I needed because our flight was leaving until 11 PM and the Rtiz couldnt guarantee that if I paid with my Ritz card.  That coupled with the $100 meal allowance made it a great deal.  The two cards are very different in benefits and have completely different travel partners so they do compliment each other very well.

Message 8 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Maybe "garbage" for having a limited footprint?

Delta SkyClubs are more prevalent, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

For me, there are two ways to ruin a lounge system:

1. Limited availability (centurion suffers from this)

2. Overcrowding. Far and away nothing makes me hate a lounge more than it being full of people. Particularly if many of those people don't know etiquette (I'm looking at you mister use-4-outlets-to-charge-your-crap and mister my-bag-also-gets-a-seat. United suffers from this in some locations now too, such as ORD and LAX before the new lounge was opened. This problem tends to be rampant in systems where the threshold for entry is low (there are a lot of plat card holders and a lot of kettles with their two explorer club passes). This same phenomena was discussed on another thread relating to fall in quality of pre-check as the glut of casual travelers sign up since it's free with their card.

Delta Skyclub is fine if you fly delta a lot and if you do the platinum makes sense. Someone who isn't delta loyal though won't get nearly the use out of it.

As for hotel collection promotions, the rates tend to be inflated and theres often similar or better hotels for similar or lower prices at the locations, even if the "bonuses" are tossed in. I have researched using a hotel from Chase's hotel collection on several occasions (Great Barrier Reef in Australia most recently) and every time went with a different hotel. Maybe some locations are better than others, but my experience has been their properties are marginal upgrades or sidegrades for higher prices. Dining credits are horrible values when they give you a $50 credit then charge you $9 for a liter of water or $40 for an entree you can get at a local place down the street for $8. Last week in Madrid the hotel wanted 150 Euros for a 60 minute massage per person when a 4.5 star TripAdvisor spa walking distance away had a couples 90 minute massage for 170 Euros.

Sorry for the ramble, but my point is that hotel credits and upgrades are not as valuable as they seem when you consider they're just creating the illusion of value by marking services up 100% or more.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.