cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! Am I paying Cap 1 wrong to get a CLI??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help!!! Am I paying Cap 1 wrong to get a CLI??

I was upgraded from Platinum unsecured to Quicksilver (not QS1) a month ago after having it for a year. SL was $300 only had 1 cli so it's now at $400. I've been charging and paying in full around $600 monthly and pay it off before the statement cuts so my bill has 0 balance. I asked for cli and was denied saying Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low. I thought paying before statement cut was the right way from reading these forums but I'm clearly doing it wrong😒 Any help would be appreciated!!! TYIA

47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help!!! Am I paying Cap 1 wrong to get a CLI??

Same things happens to me and i use mine for 2-3 times the limit and pif. From what i gather these are just entry builder cards that will never grow to anything substantial. Basically we are in the bucketed bracket for Cap 1 on these. Use it, pay it on time, and after you build a relationship app for another card but these likely won't go up much with clis.

Message 2 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not expecting 10,000 but I would at least like to think I could get to 12-1300 with it🙄 $400 is not something I expected to be at forever lol.

Message 3 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Its a Cap One starter card, doesnt matter how you pay or use, it will be bucketed. Make payments that work for you not to please a lender. 

Message 4 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not expecting 10,000 but I would at least like to think I could get to 12-1300 with it🙄 $400 is not something I expected to be at forever lol.

Thats unrealistic expectations especially given the data points here support it. Its not like there have been a rash ofrecent posts about big cli here. Heck most people cant even get $100 cli on the Walmart card despite usage. 

Message 5 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kinda my reasoning I guess.... my $600 payments do work for me lol. $600 before a min $25 payment dues to me is grounds for an increase lol. I've read about the bucketed  cards and understand them but I just cannot wrap my head around a bucket of $400!!

Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous You won't be at this general CL level forever but from what I've read around here you are likely stuck with that low limit under Cap 1. Once you build some history, pay on time and improve your credit standing app for cards that will be more useful. It takes time but I wouldn't waste any of it expecting another dime from Cap 1 with this card. GL! 

Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not meaning 12-1300 in one sitting. 3-500 here and there is what I had imagined. I'm starting to get bummed about it lol

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats unrealistic expectations especially given the data points here support it. Its not like there have been a rash ofrecent posts about big cli here. Heck most people cant even get $100 cli on the Walmart card despite usage. 

Message 8 of 48
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

Get a new card.  I got a bucketed Quicksilver at $600 after putting $1400/month through it for 9 months they only gave me a $100 increase. I applied for discover and got a $9500 credit line!  Get a card from another bank and forget about capital one!

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fico score has went up about 50 pats since I opened it. I guess my next question is about applying for new through them... if I applied for a new cap 1 card down the road is it the same as applying for the first time, or do the take into consideration that you already have a good standing account with them in their decision making. I guess I should also mention I have a ton of inquiries. I was looking for something better and didn't know the rules till I got myFICO. Here's my breakdown:

Cap1 QS $400

Credit one $300

Kohls $300 (opened last month, backed by Cap1)

Fingerhut closed good standing (was never used) 

A CO with First Access Visa. On that I tried to pay but they sent it to collection agency already so I paid the CA and that was removed from my CR... but original CO shows. 

I have no missed payments on any..

TU has a ton of inquiries no collections 

EQ and EX are identical except a 5 year old Sprint Bill that will hold me down another 2 years😞. Just recently learned and got serious about my credit. The more I learn the more of a goal challenge it is for me. I want to feel secure and also appreciate the work it took to get there. Sorry if that's too much info but I do appreciate the help!

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.