cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Barclays bought & ruined my account!

tag
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Help! Barclays bought & ruined my account!

One of my first cards when I was starting to build credit was a Banana Republic retail card. Low limit and worthless rewards. I only kept it open due to the age of the account.

Unbeknownst to me, Barclays bought it a few months ago, UNENROLLED ME FROM AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS which I'd had in place for 10+ years, and reported me 30 days late to all 3 bureaus. 

I was furious. They said they were unable to reverse it, so I just closed the account. (My history is old enough now. I don't need that crappy little retail card.) 

Is there anything I can do to get that 30 day mark off my reports and go back to 120+ months of 100% on time payments? I know it's not the end of the world to drop to 99% but it just makes me so angry because I did nothing wrong. I had to idea my card had even been sold to them. 😔

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
18 REPLIES 18
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! Barclays bought & ruined my account!

@loviedovie wrote:

One of my first cards when I was starting to build credit was a Banana Republic retail card. Low limit and worthless rewards. I only kept it open due to the age of the account.

Unbeknownst to me, Barclays bought it a few months ago, UNENROLLED ME FROM AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS which I'd had in place for 10+ years, and reported me 30 days late to all 3 bureaus. 

I was furious. They said they were unable to reverse it, so I just closed the account. (My history is old enough now. I don't need that crappy little retail card.) 

Is there anything I can do to get that 30 day mark off my reports and go back to 120+ months of 100% on time payments? I know it's not the end of the world to drop to 99% but it just makes me so angry because I did nothing wrong. I had to idea my card had even been sold to them. 😔

Unfortunately, techincally they are not the ones at fault, as annoying as it may be to hear that.  Your auto payment was authorized to be done by whoever serviced the Banana Republic card previously, not Barclays;  that's why the auto pay was cancelled.  I'm not saying that it doesn't suck, just that you should take this as a lesson learned... Check every account at least once a month to make sure nothing jenky has happened.  I personally check each of mine twice a month.  You SHOULD have received an email or letter regarding the change of ownership.  Poo on them if they didn't send one!

Now, there's still a chance you could get the 30 day lates reversed...  But you won't get anywhere by phone.  You need to send what's called a "Good Will" letter to Barclays politely explaining the situation and asking them nicely to remove the late.  You are literally asking some corporate cog somewhere to do you a favor out of the goodness of their heart, so you write the letter accordingly.

You can search the 'net and the forums for examples of letters...  They should explain what happened and what you are requesting, but should be relatively short.

Good luck...  Keep us informed if you try this and if you get a response!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

@loviedovie wrote:

Unfortunately, techincally they are not the ones at fault, as annoying as it may be to hear that.  Your auto payment was authorized to be done by whoever serviced the Banana Republic card previously, not Barclays;  that's why the auto pay was cancelled.  I'm not saying that it doesn't suck, just that you should take this as a lesson learned... Check every account at least once a month to make sure nothing jenky has happened.  I personally check each of mine twice a month.  You SHOULD have received an email or letter regarding the change of ownership.  Poo on them if they didn't send one!

Now, there's still a chance you could get the 30 day lates reversed...  But you won't get anywhere by phone.  You need to send what's called a "Good Will" letter to Barclays politely explaining the situation and asking them nicely to remove the late.  You are literally asking some corporate cog somewhere to do you a favor out of the goodness of their heart, so you write the letter accordingly.

You can search the 'net and the forums for examples of letters...  They should explain what happened and what you are requesting, but should be relatively short.

Good luck...  Keep us informed if you try this and if you get a response!

This. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 19
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Maybe go this route based on the fact you were not notified 

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/disputing-credit-card-charges#exercise

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 4 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Hoben02 wrote:

Maybe go this route based on the fact you were not notified 

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/disputing-credit-card-charges#exercise

Banks are pretty good at this.   I would be pretty sure some notification was sent out by one or both of the banks.  OP might have missed it, or it may have gone to the wrong place, but pretty sure that Barclays can show the generic notification that was sent. 

Different banks, but the transfer of REI from USBank to Cap One generated LOTS of messages, included those saying you need to set up autopay again if desired

Message 5 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@loviedovie wrote:

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

I would

- write to Barclays and request that they remove it

- dispute it with the bureaus and

- complain to the CFPB

FWIW I find Barclays to be a very unpleasant bank.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 19
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

FWIW I find Barclays to be a very unpleasant bank.

Thankfully, I have never had any issues with them... Of course, I never contact them so they don't have a chance to irritate me.   Smiley Happy

Anyway, OP, your best bet is the goodwill letter along with proof that you never received any notices from BofA (rental contract showing that somebody else lived at the address notices was sent to for the entire time they were sending notices would be great).

As someone else said, go to annualcreditreport.com and get a copy of each of your credit reports and go through them with a fine-toothed comb.

{edited to remove the brain-dead reference to court action because I was thinking of a completely different post!}

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Message 7 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Dalmus 

OP is not being sued ?? 

it's a 30 day late 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 19
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Dalmus 

OP is not being sued ?? 

it's a 30 day late 

Yeah, for some reason my pea brain mixed up two different posts while I was replying.   No explaination for that!   I edited my reply accordingly.   Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
loviedovie
Regular Contributor

Thank you Dalmus!

Any idea where I might find exmaples of a goodwill letter? (Or where to send it to?)

I got a goodwill deletion from Verizon once when they mailed a final bill to an old address. I just asked nicely on the phone and they said yes. I don't see that working with Barclays... I will try a letter!

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.