Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me w/ My 1st UnSecured Card PLEASE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Me w/ My 1st UnSecured Card PLEASE

Ok so i just applied for the QuickSilver and was approved for $3,000 Credit Line and 0% intro APR but 22.9% Variable after that, I was thinking my rate would be lower honestly but hey.

@FiveohFour,

Thats nice.. Congrats.  

Message 21 of 29
FiveOhFour
Contributor

Indeed, thank you, now hopefully with the next 1 or 2 i can get substantial Credit limits, ihigher would be better but i'm happy to start at $3,000, gotta start somewhere right. Thanks again. 

PERFECT CREDIT SCORE FINALLY
2020: FICO Score 9 850/850 (Equifax) (I still only have ~4 cards)
2018 FICO: EQ: 820 TU: 807 EX: 806
First Credit Card in 2016 (2 secured cards)
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Indeed, thank you, now hopefully with the next 1 or 2 i can get substantial Credit limits, ihigher would be better but i'm happy to start at $3,000, gotta start somewhere right. Thanks again. 

Yes, we all have to start somewhere and you are welcome.  That is why I asked what card you wanted.  The starting limit for the Venture is $5,000... But quicksilver is also a good card.

Message 23 of 29
FiveOhFour
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Yes, we all have to start somewhere and you are welcome.  That is why I asked what card you wanted.  The starting limit for the Venture is $5,000... But quicksilver is also a good card.

Ah oh well, maybe they will change my Secured Card To a Venture Card or something like that, i really don't know what cards i want, for the most part i am looking at the best card tier and veering towards cash rewards, but i wont be using them very much for the time being, at the moment i am mostly trying to establish the best credit possible. I guess i will do Chase next, i was going to do it right now but maybe i will wait and do some more research first, i dont /need/ the higher limit right now, but in my way of thinking its better for my credit and less CLI requests i have to do down the line etc. 

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FiveOhFour wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Ah oh well, maybe they will change my Secured Card To a Venture Card or something like that, i really don't know what cards i want, for the most part i am looking at the best card tier and veering towards cash rewards, but i wont be using them very much for the time being, at the moment i am mostly trying to establish the best credit possible. I guess i will do Chase next, i was going to do it right now but maybe i will wait and do some more research first, i dont /need/ the higher limit right now, but in my way of thinking its better for my credit and less CLI requests i have to do down the line etc. 

Good.. I like your assessments.  Chase is a very good option.  Write down your spending habits and find cards that match it.  Ask questions if you have soubtsSmiley Happy

Message 25 of 29
FiveOhFour
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Good.. I like your assessments.  Chase is a very good option.  Write down your spending habits and find cards that match it.  Ask questions if you have soubtsSmiley Happy

Plus i guess by waiting a few weeks or so to do the next app I'll be that much more likely to get a higher limit with the additional positive info from this new account on my report, true my AAoA will take a hit, but its already only about 18 months, and i assume the huge increase in Available credit will outweight that. Anyway, good advice, thanks 

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FiveOhFour wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

Plus i guess by waiting a few weeks or so to do the next app I'll be that much more likely to get a higher limit with the additional positive info from this new account on my report, true my AAoA will take a hit, but its already only about 18 months, and i assume the huge increase in Available credit will outweight that. Anyway, good advice, thanks 

Good decision.. I'd wait for the limit on this one to report before apping for others...

Message 27 of 29
FiveOhFour
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Go over all the rewards on the cards you like.  Remember Cap One likes a lot of usage.  Then decide what you would use the most.  Have fun! Smiley Wink

Hey thanks again, i am reading back through all the replies i got on here and had a question about yours...when you say Cap one likes a lot of usage, how ecactly do you mean that? Please be detailed, I am a total Noob. Thank you

Message 28 of 29
FiveOhFour
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FiveOhFour wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With your scores you can have whatever you want! I would start with Discover, chase and capital one! I wish i had your scores! Have fun choosing! 

Thanks for your input, i just updated the OP i misspoke, i do actually have a single medical collection for a $35 copay with Exprian and Equifax that falls off in May of this year, so any day now hopefully. Obviously my scores are still great but with the limited history i have regardless of score does that change your advice at all? Also, do i reply for a few in a short period of time or whats the best practice in that regard? 

You have 2 approaches ... quality or quantity.  

If you opt for Quality, Barclay/Citi/USBank...maybe 3-4 cards before they get nervous.  These guys get spooked by new accounts/inquiries

Or quantity ... go for the less easily spooked lenders like AMEX, Discover, CapitalOne, Synchrony, NFCU, Chase, Commenity.  These guys are more forgiving and care more about high debt rather than new inquiries.  You could probably get 6-10 cards without facing AA.

You'll most likely have to garden for a year after this but you would have added like $25-50K+ credit in 1 spree.

Once you've amassed credit, you can go after the finicky lenders a couple at a time.  That way you get early volume and take the AAoA hit and be done with it.

Another question about this reply, when you say "quaity" what are you referring to, what makes the offerings from them higher quality? Higher Credit Lines or the rewards/perks/customer service? I applied for the Capitol One Quiksilver and was approved for a  $3,000 limit and 22% APR, i assume people do actually get the lower APR's if theyre credit qualifies them for it right? I was hoping for a bit of a higher limit so between getting the $3,000 limit which is the lowest possible for Quiksilver and the 22% APR i'm assuming that although my scores are great i still would benefit from more positive data, so instead of doing a spree i am going to wait until the Quiksilver reports on my credit and takes my total Credit from $900 to $3900 which i expect to raise my credit score and then hopefully that will help me get more preferable terms on the next cards i app for. 

I need to look into Financing a car as well, I assume its best to garden for a year or so before financing a car purchase so i have that to consider too. 

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.