cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Should I Recon with Chase or Reapp?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Should I Recon with Chase or Reapp?

About 3-4 weeks ago I apped for a Chase Freedom card and I believe during that time my scores were around 645, and I was of course declined because of high utility and too many inquiries. However, now my scores about jumped to about 700 because I paid most of my cc debts and also my utility is less than 5%. So I was wondering if I should try to recon it, or if it would be too late to do so? That way I won't have to app and I could save a hard pull from my CR. Or would it be better to just reapply for the card now since my scores are about 700? Is there a wait time between apps for Chase? Anyone know? Appreciate the help, thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! Should I Recon with Chase or Reapp?

I would at least try for the recon.  The worst they can say is no, right? I am not sure they will be able to do it without a hard, but if none of the reasons you were declined are still valid, then I would still go about it that way.  It makes sense to me that if they are going to deny you on recon, they will deny you if you cold app. I wouldn't want to incur a hard pull if I didn't have to....but again, unless you have a file number or something, they may pull it anyway.

I have learned the hard way about hard pulls;  pun intended.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 2 of 6
Romeoo47
Regular Contributor

My understanding with Chase is that if you do a recon regardless of if you have a file number they will pull another hard inquiry on your report.  When I denied a CLI almost a year ago, I asked for a recon and was hit with another hard.  And I have the Chase Freedom card.  They have since came around and have given me automatic CLIs.  Chase is really weird.  Anyway, I hope this helps.
Message 3 of 6
emartin82
Regular Contributor

I would recommend that you recon instead of apping again because you may be receive an outright denial based on the fact that you are reapplying within 90 days of your initial application.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called the recon number for Chase, and it's a no go. The anaylst said no because mainly that my credit history is too short. I have like 2 years of solid good history. Well the anaylst said I should wait a couple of months and try app agian. What do you guys think? Should I just wait a few months then apply agian? Or should I try the recon number a few more times till I get approved?

Message 5 of 6
smalldede
Valued Member

You already no lost, I will try at least 2 times to recon . Different people have different answer. Don't give up yet !!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.