cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!!! Should I reallocate my CL from Amex Cash Magnet to Amex Hilton??

tag
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

Help!!! Should I reallocate my CL from Amex Cash Magnet to Amex Hilton??

Ok, help me strategize.

Amex Cash Magnet CL: 8k (up for a CLI May 4) 181 day increase since I increased
Amex Everyday to 24k from 12k back in NOV. 2018

I no longer want the Amex Magnet Card. Should I......
A. Go for the increase, then ask to reallocate that money to the Hilton Honors Card?
a. My concern is that I wouldn’t qualify for any of the offers that come along with the Hilton Card b/c I’m just transferring the CL to a new card.

B. Should I leave the Cash Magnet where it is and just app for the Hilton Card (I’m prequalified it’s a SP). Once I’m approved, ask to move the balance from the magnet to the Hilton? Is this even possible?

At the end of the day, I’d like to maximize my options, rid myself of the Cash Magnet and add Amex Hilton to my wallet.

****Due to my gardening status, I won’t app for the Hilton until Mid 2020. I have to let some of this Credit age a bit. No new cards for the next 12 months.

Deets:
-I’m a 701 on Experian
-I give Both my Amex’s about 2k in action each month.
-No lates
Utilization is 11% overall.
Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Help!!! Should I reallocate my CL from Amex Cash Magnet to Amex Hilton??

I would keep the Magnet and ED where they are right now. The CLI opportunity does not expire.

When you app the Hilton, it is quite possible AMEX makes a reallocation, and you won't know which card, either Magnet or ED, they might pull from, until they do... or do not.

By leaving the Magnet alone, you don't poke the bear about "closing a card early" and reduce your risk of getting boxed out of the SUB on the Hilton card.

You can reallocate limits after the Hilton app.

Since all three cards are probably no-AF, there is absolutely no rush to close any of them. Slow and thoughtful, planning carefully, is my advice regarding AMEX changes.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

Yes...strategy with a little slow and steady. There is absolutely no rush here. I like your approach. 😊
In addition, I should’ve shared that I didn’t plan on going for the Hilton until Mid 2020. I’m not doing any new apps until I achieve my 5/24 for my Chase Card. (Not sure if that makes a difference in this applied strategy.
Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Message 3 of 5
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

You will not be able to PC thr cards but i wouldnt close it out yet. When you app, they will auto reallocate as they see fit, if you are at your max.
Message 4 of 5
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

Forgive me but just want to clarify...PC the card???

So far the consensus is that I shouldn’t ask for the CLI increase on the Magnet, just wait until Mid 2020 to app for the Hilton and let Amex work their magic.

It’s hard to determine their CLI ceiling. I’m at 24k and 8k. If I get the Hilton, who knows what Limit they’ll give me.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.