Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting CLI from Cap One

tag
Dylan1
Valued Member

Help getting CLI from Cap One

My QS (upgraded from a platinum) is sitting firmly at a $1,500 credit limit. I find this fairly stupid since my QS1 is at $3,500 and my Amex ED is at $6,000. The last month I’ve run over $900 through it. And every time I request an increase the excuse is “Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low.” My question is how much more do they expect me to spend on that card, and is there anything else I can do to grow the limit?
My Scores are 730-740
The card is 1y 1mo old
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help getting CLI from Cap One

Unfortunately, Cap One wants heavy use, or at least a couple months consecutively to help your cause. . One reason im not a big fan of C1. Might be better to look for alternative cards that can grow on its ownSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One wants to see you regularly using the card's limit for the prior 6 months when asking for a CLI. You can't trick the algorithm by boosting spend for one or two months. Growing Capital One cards is a long game and not really worth it when there are other cards out there that will grow much quicker with much less spend and have better rewards. Maybe look into the PayPal Cashback card. Synchrony cards can grow like weeds and you'll earn 2% on every purchase. 

Message 3 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

To add on to what's already been said, your card is probably permanently bucketed, unfortunately. Being that it was originally a platinum, it most likely will stay at that low limit forever or just be extremely hard to grow without running all your spend through it. The only way to get a higher limit is probably to just apply for a new QS. Or apply for a new card elsewhere.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here,

I've been stuck at 1100 for over a year. A fistful of denials with the exact same reason as yours. I brushed it off, and chalked it up to the bucket.

Capone is subprime and it was great for my re-build, but I expect nothing further from them.

Message 5 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, I've been fine with 3 to 3.5 months of solid spending.

@Dylan1, how much have you been spending during previous months? I think spending a bit over 1k per month for 3 to 3.5 months could net a 1k CLI. It's possible that your card is in a starter bucket as mentioned. But the fact that your current limit is over 1k offers reason for hope.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous, I've been fine with 3 to 3.5 months of solid spending.

@Dylan1, how much have you been spending during previous months? I think spending a bit over 1k per month for 3 to 3.5 months could net a 1k CLI. It's possible that your card is in a starter bucket as mentioned. But the fact that your current limit is over 1k offers reason for hope.

I have heard both sides of it honestly. Better to just expect 6 months than go for 3-4 and be disappointed IMO.

Capital One has been very generous with me, even with my Plat turned QS, so I'm a bit of an outlier anyway. I also only had Capital One cards from 3/2014 til 11/2017 though so they were getting all of my spend regardless.

Message 7 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Once you think you might have spent enough, you can start asking. If you're declined, no clocks are reset. Likewise, if you decline to accept a CLI offer, no clocks are reset.

I'd start requesting when you're on the low end of what might be reasonable and if necessary, try every 30 days or so after that.

Message 8 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Dylan1 wrote:
My QS (upgraded from a platinum) is sitting firmly at a $1,500 credit limit. I find this fairly stupid since my QS1 is at $3,500 ( This was probably your second card after the Plat) and my Amex ED is at $6,000. The last month I’ve run over $900 through it. And every time I request an increase the excuse is “Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low.” My question is how much more do they expect me to spend on that card, and is there anything else I can do to grow the limit?
My Scores are 730-740
The card is 1y 1mo old

Things have changed since 2015-16 when I started rebuild after BK. Cap1 used to give out plenty of CLI's if you used their cards. I had both of your cards at one time. Plat/QS started at 300 out of BK grow to 4500. QS1 was at 3500 closed at 6000. Then after a while I went for the regular QS, closed the Plat/QS, then came Venture, closed QS1, then Savor, and all were approved for 10k a piece. But since then they have tightened up a lot.  I've been thru all 5 cards and ended up with the top 3. So the old days are gone and its a new way with Cap1. They are starter cards and thats what they will stay as. Use them to grow your profile and move on to bigger and better things. But dont ever forget who helped get you where your at now and in the future. Cap1.

Like others have said. Heavy usage and PIF tickles their CLI computer server. Starter cards will grow. But slow in this day and age.

Message 9 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Unfortunately, Cap One wants heavy use, or at least a couple months consecutively to help your cause. . One reason im not a big fan of C1. Might be better to look for alternative cards that can grow on its ownSmiley Wink

heavy use to make $$$ off swipe fees...Uh Huh

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.