cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose a general spend card...

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me choose a general spend card...

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:
Alright well given the information I have about your profile, I would go with the elan financial card. Unless you value UR at greater than 1cpp (and you don't have the CSP to at least get 1.25 on travel or higher (through the travel partners) so I'm not sure I'd follow for that value), your Chase Freedom is really only a 1.1% CB card, whereas Elan is a 1.25%.

Now, if you were looking in the future to get the CSP and redeem your UR for travel, your freedom at the most conservative (and guaranteed) estimate, would become a 1.375% CB card on travel redemption - so I would use the Freedom and stockpile UR points!

Good luck choosing! Smiley Happy

Thank you!  This is exactly the thought process I was trying to weigh.  I don't have a CSP and would probably like one in the future, but I'm not sure how soon it would be before I would have use for one.  You've given me great food for thought!

No problem! - glad I could help you out! I forgot to mention how useful the 5% back can be, I usually can use a lot of the 5% categories, so if you do the math on those, it's 6.875% back on travel LOL.

The Freedom with the checking account bonus is how I'll be able to justify the annual fee. Just so you know, it's a painless transfer when you need to move UR points (if that's the route you take) when all the accounts are linked under the same login.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 24
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:
Alright well given the information I have about your profile, I would go with the elan financial card. Unless you value UR at greater than 1cpp (and you don't have the CSP to at least get 1.25 on travel or higher (through the travel partners) so I'm not sure I'd follow for that value), your Chase Freedom is really only a 1.1% CB card, whereas Elan is a 1.25%.

Now, if you were looking in the future to get the CSP and redeem your UR for travel, your freedom at the most conservative (and guaranteed) estimate, would become a 1.375% CB card on travel redemption - so I would use the Freedom and stockpile UR points!

Thank you!  This is exactly the thought process I was trying to weigh.  I don't have a CSP and would probably like one in the future, but I'm not sure how soon it would be before I would have use for one.  You've given me great food for thought!

No problem! - glad I could help you out! I forgot to mention how useful the 5% back can be, I usually can use a lot of the 5% categories, so if you do the math on those, it's 6.875% back on travel LOL.

The Freedom with the checking account bonus is how I'll be able to justify the annual fee. Just so you know, it's a painless transfer when you need to move UR points (if that's the route you take) when all the accounts are linked under the same login.

So it would seem there's greater potential for leveraging the Freedom points for use with CSP. I think that helps me make my decision, even though I'm forgoing more cash back with Elan.  I just wish I had more use for the 5% categories with Freedom, but since I've got the Sallie Mae, I'm essentially covered year round on the categories I would normally find most useful like gas.  Thank you again!

Message 12 of 24
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

So it would seem there's greater potential for leveraging the Freedom points for use with CSP. I think that helps me make my decision, even though I'm forgoing more cash back with Elan.  I just wish I had more use for the 5% categories with Freedom, but since I've got the Sallie Mae, I'm essentially covered year round on the categories I would normally find most useful like gas.  Thank you again!

There really is - there a reason the Chase "trifecta" is checking, freedom, and CSP Smiley Tongue.I just got my Sallie Mae and I love it, but because I value UR at >1cpp I use it during the rotating categories. That being said, if I could only have 1 rewards card it would probably be sallie mae, it's such a great card! Best of luck to you!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 13 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Hm. I'd say either the Freedom (UR points are solid) or Discover (good cashback plus free FICO with statement).

Message 14 of 24
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Hm. I'd say either the Freedom (UR points are solid) or Discover (good cashback plus free FICO with statement).

What a true hero, still recommending Chase...

<3

Message 15 of 24
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

Thank you for another vote for Chase!  I like Discover a whole lot and wish it had different rotating categories than Freedom, but the two seem to overlap quite a bit.  I do really appreciate the fact that they provide a TU Fico score...that's a real plus!

Message 16 of 24
mskarma
New Contributor

@evil_ducky wrote:

@mskarma wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

@mskarma wrote:

i use the Amex TE card for pretty much everything else even my auto pay bills. I got about $480 cash back this month with my rewards check. 3% gas, 2% dining and travel & 1% on everything else.

That's an impressive return!!

lol, we spent a lot last year Smiley Wink my boss got $1200 Back with his! But, I kinda double dip with amex I combined it with the executive membership so I technically get 5% back on gas and 3% on costco purchases. I usually earn enough with the executive membership rewards to at least cover the membership fee which is just fine by me.

Unfortunately, the extra 2% for Executive members doesn't count toward things like gas or Cash Cards. I was very disappointed when I found out about the former. Otherwise I'd always have the Executive membership!

That's right, I forgot it didn't count towards gas Smiley Sad  

I can't wait to see what benefits the new Amex "everyday" card will offer.

Message 17 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

<3

I still like Chase haha. They were justified for taking AA against me. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 24
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

<3

I still like Chase haha. They were justified for taking AA against me. Smiley Happy

grinlikechelsea - I commend you greatly on your attitude and postive outlook through all of that.  

OP- Take a look at Huntington National Bank's "Voice" card.  It gives you 3% back on one category each quarter and one of the few that still lets you choose utilities (gas, electric, water and most cable services).  It's 1% back on everything else.  And although folks like to thrash, bash, kick and curse CapOne, 1.5% on everything and being able to redeem at any time is hard to beat.  Smiley Happy

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 19 of 24
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

<3

grinlikechelsea - I commend you greatly on your attitude and postive outlook through all of that.  

OP- Take a look at Huntington National Bank's "Voice" card.  It gives you 3% back on one category each quarter and one of the few that still lets you choose utilities (gas, electric, water and most cable services).  It's 1% back on everything else.  And although folks like to thrash, bash, kick and curse CapOne, 1.5% on everything and being able to redeem at any time is hard to beat.  Smiley Happy

Thank you. I know Chase is trying to protect themselves and I respect their decision. I am very grateful they let me keep my accounts as well. In the end, I had a fairly positive outcome. Smiley Happy

I have the Voice, and I can confirm that utilities is an option. I use mine for drug stores, which is handy as well. They have a bunch of different categories, but you can only change every quarter (except the first 30 days you have the card). The website is clunky, but it gets the job done.

Also, I know you don't have this card, but the Fidelity AmEx is my go to card, and my Capital One Venture is my backup if AmEx isn't accepted. I like both of those cards and I highly recommend them!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.