cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me choose a low limit secured card?

tag
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Help me choose a low limit secured card?

I'm thinking of opening another with $250-500 or maybe even two with $250-300 each? To help my credit improve in about a year.

I'm looking for one that would really consider unsecuring in 6-12 months?

I have a Discover so I don't think I'm allowed to get another for months.

I have a long-running business and I'm a student so those are options too, and I don't know which is best.

I do AZEO.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Help me choose a low limit secured card?

Navy Fed has a good secured card that's supposed to graduate 6-12 months. I think Citi Bank has one also that graduates within 12 months.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 13
EverForward
Established Contributor

If you qualify, consider NFCU, you can obtain a secured nRewards card starting at $250, that graduates in 6-12 months YEMV, and you'll get your foot in the door for additional cards when you're ready.  Search NFCU, for more information.

Message 3 of 13
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I can't do NFCU Smiley Sad

I am very interested in building a relationship with DCU so that maybe I can refinance my auto loan in 12-18 months.

I do AZEO.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just joined DCU.....refinanced my car with them after hearing how great the rates are.......and they are!!!!!!!!!!!    Car was financed with NFCU my favorite bank in the world for like 8%......DCU got it down to 3.2%!.   When they do a hard pull for your refinanced you can also use that hard pull to see if you qualify for a credit card which i was......$7Kcl!  BAM!!!    Refiance & credit card off 1 hard pull DCU ain't bad at all!!!!

@Swatch wrote:

Thanks, I can't do NFCU Smiley Sad

I am very interested in building a relationship with DCU so that maybe I can refinance my auto loan in 12-18 months.

Message 5 of 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

I'm thinking of opening another with $250-500 or maybe even two with $250-300 each? To help my credit improve in about a year.

I have a long-running business and I'm a student so those are options too, and I don't know which is best.

Check out State Dept. Federal CU. Their secured cards now graduate after 12 months of improved credit.
https://sdfcu.org/savings-secured-credit-card

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Boa

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the State Dept Credit Union generous like Navy Fed or conservative with credit scores and credit amounts?

@sjt wrote:

@Swatch wrote:

Check out State Dept. Federal CU. Their secured cards now graduate after 12 months of improved credit.
https://sdfcu.org/savings-secured-credit-card

Message 8 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Capital One Platinum is my go-to for starter cards. You may be able to get it unsecured too. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

SDFCU has a fantastic secured card...no AF, low limit and often unsecures inside a year. You can start with as little as $250 security.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.