Help me choose an airline rewards card

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me choose an airline rewards card

@Shogun wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Well first of all... get rid of that ugly Pistol Pete in your siggy.... maybe try... oh,, I don't know......

sooners.jpg

Sorry, I just can't do that.

Lol, we just moved to the PNW and now everyone thinks I'm a Beaver fan.

Ouch!

It's funny though....seeing Orange/Black OSU everywhere but not being the Pokes.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 11 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I always watch and cheer on the Pokes,,, except when they're playing the sooners.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 15
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

Thanks for all the great info and recommendations!

I don't think I will have any issues making any spend requirements on the cards if I were to get any. I really like the idea of using the Chase products together and transferring the UR points across the accounts. So it sounds like a good plan would be to get a co-branded airline card for the specific perks related to using that airline, a hotel card, and possibly a general travel reward card. Would the CSP, Freedom, Marriott, United MileagePlus all compliment each other or would that just be overkill? How many cards does Chase allow? lol

United isn't the major hub where we live, but they do fly to every place we would travel, and they are one of the cheaper airlines to choose from. So the United MileagePlus could be a good card to have as far as a co-branded card goes. When we travel it seems like we will usually use Priceline to book, but I've noticed a lot of the hotels we have stayed at have been some form of a Marriott.

Thanks for the help!

Let me slide this in there first...

Now back to topic:

I think the magic number for Chase is 4(as i've seen a number of members w/ 4 Chase cards), but i wouldn't overkill it as there has been a case where Chase AA'd one of the members in the forum after the 4th app in a year.  YMMV, but i wouldn't overkill it. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 13 of 15
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

Thanks for all the great info and recommendations!

I don't think I will have any issues making any spend requirements on the cards if I were to get any. I really like the idea of using the Chase products together and transferring the UR points across the accounts. So it sounds like a good plan would be to get a co-branded airline card for the specific perks related to using that airline, a hotel card, and possibly a general travel reward card. Would the CSP, Freedom, Marriott, United MileagePlus all compliment each other or would that just be overkill? How many cards does Chase allow? lol

United isn't the major hub where we live, but they do fly to every place we would travel, and they are one of the cheaper airlines to choose from. So the United MileagePlus could be a good card to have as far as a co-branded card goes. When we travel it seems like we will usually use Priceline to book, but I've noticed a lot of the hotels we have stayed at have been some form of a Marriott.

Thanks for the help!

Let me slide this in there first...

Now back to topic:

I think the magic number for Chase is 4(as i've seen a number of members w/ 4 Chase cards), but i wouldn't overkill it as there has been a case where Chase AA'd one of the members in the forum after the 4th app in a year.  YMMV, but i wouldn't overkill it. 

So do you think the Freedom (I just got), CSP, Marriott, and United MileagePlus would compliment each other if I were to get all of them, or would that just be overkill - Not only trying my luck with Chase, but just in general?  I wouldn't think I would need all of them to achieve what I am trying to do, right? Adding the Unitied MileagePlus and a hotel card would be good i think. Possibly later down the road picking up another co-branded airline card like the Delta or AA cards if we were to use those airlines?  Or, would it just be better to start with the CSP and hotel card and not limit myself to a co-branded card? I like the perks offered with the co-branded cards though (priority boarding, free bags, upgrades, etc)

I've just never really looked to much into these kinds of cards mainly just cashback cards. So I'd like to figure out the best way to do something for me and not go crazy getting too many cards or the wrong type of cards for me.

Thanks again!

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 14 of 15
KAISMOM
Contributor

I have the United. And so far I'm happySmiley Happy 30k signup (they deposited within 2 weeks), 2 miles per united dollars, 1 for everything else. Free checked in baggage. Two free lounge passes, which they mailed to me w/o prompting, also they will give you a $50 credit after first purchase. Sign in to your United account to get it---look for link. First year annual free. I eventually plan to get the freedom and CSP in concert.

Southwest Premier & Plus 25.8k I Alaska Air 21k I Discover It 16k I United Explorer 15k I Chase Business Ink Cash 12k I Wells Fargo 2.5k I Bill Me Later 7k I Amazon 3.5k

Current Scores:
(TU) 813, (EQ) 786
Goal Score: 820
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.