cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide 'cause I may be missing something...

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Help me decide 'cause I may be missing something...

@tacpoly wrote:
This is a no-brainer. Get the CSR! And move the Slate's limit to the CSR when you close it.

The only issue is whether to close the Marriott. You'll have to make the calculation for that. My suggestion would be to not close the Marriott yet; have both for a time then decide if you need to get rid of any. If you value Marriott and UR points equally, I can see a scenario where you would use Marriott for all Marriott hotel stays and CSR for everything else.

Get the CSR & then move Slate limit over.

Keep the Marriott.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 23
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

@tacpoly wrote:
This is a no-brainer. Get the CSR! And move the Slate's limit to the CSR when you close it.

I would love to do just that...  But since the Slate is a joint card, no consolidation is possible. (this is why it will be eventually closed, it's just floating out there in credit card deep spaceSmiley LOL)

Is it TRULY "JOINT" or is one or the other an AU. Joint cards are really rare. If someone else is an AU, kick them off and move the limit. If you're the AU, get off the card and let the other person deal. 

I agree with keeping the MR and letting things coexist for a while. I 'get' self imposed limits, particularly for over thinkers. But you asked for comments and that's one that keeps coming up. I doubt you'll regret getting the CSR. You could regret dropping the MR (Does whatever they provide free for the annual fee benefit you? It's on the same log-in as the CSR so it will be easy to manage.) so wait on that part. 

I love my Discover for various reasons at various times. But if you feel that's the one that's doing you no good (on their %#*@ list) then maybe that's the one to close IF you feel the need to close something to open the CSR. 

Thanks, TortoiseWins.

Yes, it is the actual rarity (a true joint account).  After divorce and career change (and re-marriage to the most wonderful woman on Earth), I was an AU on the Slate account my Dad opened for my use.  After about 4 years (as I was starting to see the positive effects of rebuilding, scores were good enough for a mortgage), Chase agreed to change me from an AU to a joint account holder.  On the plus side, the full history as an account holder (not just AU) gave me a credit boost which opened the door for my current situation.  The only downside, the account will be forever stuck in its current state until closure.  It has served me well, but will eventually be closed.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 12 of 23
Aahz
Established Contributor

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

@Aahz wrote:

Given all the data you've provided it sucks to say that I don't have enough info for a definitive answer.  But, honestly, I could never have enough data for that since I'm not living your life (as far as I know Smiley Wink )

Having said that, I can only think of two probing questions that may help with your decision-

1) How valuable to you is earning Marriott Lifetime Platinum soner rather than later?

2) Did you remember to calculate in that with the CSR your UR points can be redeemed at 1.5x?  

You said "the 3X's points for travel is pretty close to to the 5X's I get for Marriott on my MR card and better than the 2X dining I get for the same card."  Bt, assuming you redeem the UR for the same thing you're redeeming Marriott points it's actually 4.5x for travel & dining which (most likely) exceeds the value of your current 5x Marriott & 2x dining.

So, do understand correctly?  I would get 1.5 Marriott points for every UR point instead of the 1:1 transfer with the Sapphire Preferred?  Or, you're saying I could use UR points for the "stay" and get the 1.5X redemption value?

I gotta say, this may seem like a no brainer, but the fact that I don't want to add cards and the CSR will take place of MR card is what makes this so difficult.  I did this before with the IHG card and ended up closing it because it was competing with the Marriott (which was a better card for me) therefore it lost.  The CSR appears to be a great card, but only if it is used to its potential, hence dropping the Marriott card.

I don't travel, so follow a cash back strategy personally.  Meaning I don't have any personal experience paying with or transferring UR points.

The CSR page states-

• Get 50% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.* For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,500 toward travel

So I suppose the bonus wouldn't apply when transferring, but you might want to check with a more experienced traveller.

One thing I didn't mention before-

Assuming that you do earn the travel credit every year (which you clearly will) and that you redeem all of your UR through Chase Ultimate rewards, then that sign up bonus translates to the annual fee being waived for 10 years.  Even if you transfer all those URs at 1:1 (or cash them out at $0.01 each) the annual fee is still covered for 6 years.

Even forgetting that, if the CSR replaces the MR your effective AF "increase" is only $65 ($450 CSR - $300 travel credit - $85 curent MR AF).  $6500 in dining on the CSR will earn you $65 more than on the Marriott, so I don't see any way the MR wins.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well you're going to get a bias opinion in here, Everyone in this forum is a bonus churner and credit addict and is going to say yes app for it, but then that's why everyone is always over the 5/24 rule and make posts like " chase closed all my account" or " just got a financial review because too many opened new accounts" etc Etc. Its an on going vicious cycle, everyone always hops out of the garden " one last time" because this is a big sign up bonus. By next month a new card comes out again with an even bigger sign up bonus and the cycle repeats itself. It's good you're thinking it through and debating about it. Unlike some people, and they wonder why they never get under the 5/24 rule becsuse they're constantly risking their profile for a measly $1500 reward that I'm sure plenty of high incomers in here can make easily and quickly.

I'm playing devils advocate here lol. So make sure you definitely want the card and it's useful to you and not opening a new account just for the sign up bonus because it's an on going habit that can never stop for some. do you truly need it? Do you already have all the cards you need already? Guess choice is up to you
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well you're going to get a bias opinion in here, Everyone in this forum is a bonus churner and credit addict and is going to say yes app for it, but then that's why everyone is always over the 5/24 rule and make posts like " chase closed all my account" or " just got a financial review because too many opened new accounts" etc Etc. Its an on going vicious cycle, everyone always hops out of the garden " one last time" because this is a big sign up bonus. By next month a new card comes out again with an even bigger sign up bonus and the cycle repeats itself. It's good you're thinking it through and debating about it. Unlike some people, and they wonder why they never get under the 5/24 rule becsuse they're constantly risking their profile for a measly $1500 reward that I'm sure plenty of high incomers in here can make easily and quickly.

I'm playing devils advocate here lol. So make sure you definitely want the card and it's useful to you and not opening a new account just for the sign up bonus because it's an on going habit that can never stop for some. do you truly need it? Do you already have all the cards you need already? Guess choice is up to you

Everyone?

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK, you will only earn Marriott points when booking at Marriott.com. You might earn the MR CC points even if you book elsewhere, not sure, but you may be able to find out via blogs/Google.

To get the 1.5 cent per point value from UR points with CSR, you need to redeem the points in the Ultimate Rewards Travel mall. This is an online travel agency, and from what I've read, hotels usually do not count these bookings toward points or status in their programs.

Airlines generally do count these bookings.

The MR point value is horrible (way under 1 cent per point) that it shouldn't be used for non Marriott spend. The best situation will likely be for you to keep the MR to use for Marriott bookings to earn more points toward status and the CSR for all other travel and dining. I don't think it's wrong to consider Marriott points around .6 cents per point in value (or even lower). At that valuation, they only make sense for Marriott bookings since the UR travel mall won't earn you status.
Message 16 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone?

He meant that everyone is a bonus churner, or is hoping to be one someday.

As for the original poster, have you been pressing the button to request a crdit limit increase on the Discover card each month? They have started to be *extremely* generous with increases, but you do have to request them...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the difference here (not for OP but in general) is that the CSR bonus really is one of the Big Ones, like (and better than) the 100K MR offers for Amex Plat.   I agree that people need to be selective and not over-apply (especially in the age of 5/24) but this also means going for the great opportunities when they occur

So while there is too much love of "free money" for (IMO) trivial stuff like the BoA BBR, there are a few things worth chasing.....

Message 18 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

App for the CSR, enjoy the 100k bonus keep it for a year, don't close the slate card yet,  call up chase after a year see if you can PC the slate card to a CSR, and keep the current APR, and then move the CSR's limit to the slate that will become a CSR card. And close the CSR card with the 16% APR, and enjoy having a CSR card with 11% APR and a long credit history, big win in my book. There is no AF for the slate so no reason to close.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 23
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Everyone?

He meant that everyone is a bonus churner, or is hoping to be one someday.

As for the original poster, have you been pressing the button to request a crdit limit increase on the Discover card each month? They have started to be *extremely* generous with increases, but you do have to request them...

Yes.  I have "pressed the button" several times this year.  Got two CLI's for a whopping 2k total increase.  Don't mean to sound snooty, but given my scores, profile, income, etc.  it's just not enough to convince me this account isn't "marked" in some manner.

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.