cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide - closing Amex SPG at 1 year mark?

tag
csryang
Frequent Contributor

Help me decide - closing Amex SPG at 1 year mark?

I am leaning towards closing Amex SPG at 1 year mark now as I dont see much benefit of this card for 95 annual fee. 

Reasons to close the card:

1) It does not provider any annual bonus points or annual free stay with this card

2) I rarely spend on this card as I have other cards with better benefits

Reasons to keep the card for another year:

1) For Amex offers.... Maybe if they offer me a good retention offer like more than 50 statement credit or more than 7,5k points

2) It might have some good conversion perks later.... ie, Amex spg conversion to chase card or another Amex card 1-2 years down the road...?

What's your thought? Am I overlooking something?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me decide - closing Amex SPG at 1 year mark?

Always close an annual fee card if you're not fully utilizing it past the cost of the AF.
Message 2 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The SPG card can definitely be worth it if you're staying at SPG hotels. Especially with the Marriott merger. It now earns more marriott points per dollar on general/restaurant spend than the marriott/ritz cards do (since 1spg point = 3 marriot points).

If you're not using it then definitely cancel or PC to a no-af card if you can, but it's definitely a strong contender in the hotel market.
Message 3 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, your signature has so many cards it's hard to see them all. This includes many hotel and travel cards.

In my case, I'm keeping the SPG for a little while longer, because I'm still distributing the points for use, and the points transfer is the most flexible I have. I also seemed to have lucked into the $65 AF rather than what I thought would be $95, so that makes my decision even easier.

The SPG is fine for a central point to transfer to many airline partners, and it will earn 3 Marriott points in a pinch, so as a basic point source that goes everywhere it is still unmatched. True, CSR earns more points, but the transfer partners aren't the same. The CSR advantage is that you can redeem for 1.5c per point, which is pretty decent on a general basis, where you want to get an unrestricted flight or hotel booking.

Any conversion speculation will be interesting, but until late 2017 and perhaps 2018 we won't know what the card conversion might entail. But, that may be worth spending $95 just to play the game for another year.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 12
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
The SPG card can definitely be worth it if you're staying at SPG hotels. Especially with the Marriott merger. It now earns more marriott points per dollar on general/restaurant spend than the marriott/ritz cards do (since 1spg point = 3 marriot points).

If you're not using it then definitely cancel or PC to a no-af card if you can, but it's definitely a strong contender in the hotel market.

I agree that on the earning side it's a decent card spending 1 dollar = 1spg spoint = 3 Marriott points = roughly 2.2% towards hotel... I would probably consider no af 2% back card to be superior though since I don't spend on this card much and no annual incentive to keep the card like marriot or Hyatt card.

I am not aware of any no AF spg card to product change to... any tips on which no AF Amex card this card can product change to?

@NRB525 wrote:

OP, your signature has so many cards it's hard to see them all. This includes many hotel and travel cards.

In my case, I'm keeping the SPG for a little while longer, because I'm still distributing the points for use, and the points transfer is the most flexible I have. I also seemed to have lucked into the $65 AF rather than what I thought would be $95, so that makes my decision even easier.

The SPG is fine for a central point to transfer to many airline partners, and it will earn 3 Marriott points in a pinch, so as a basic point source that goes everywhere it is still unmatched. True, CSR earns more points, but the transfer partners aren't the same. The CSR advantage is that you can redeem for 1.5c per point, which is pretty decent on a general basis, where you want to get an unrestricted flight or hotel booking.

Any conversion speculation will be interesting, but until late 2017 and perhaps 2018 we won't know what the card conversion might entail. But, that may be worth spending $95 just to play the game for another year.

I definitely update my cards in a couple days as there are recent changes. Unsure how I can make them bigger and still fit them all in though.

Yeah if I have 65 annual fee, I will probably keep the card. I understand the great point transfer from spg to various airline but it's only awesome if you transfer in a batch of 20k to get the bonus points. Other than that there's no easy bonus category to spend to earn spg points unlike CSR. 

I also thought about card conversion post merger but like you said, it probably won't happen until late 2017 or 2018, which means I will have to pay 190 to get to that point... Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
driftless
Valued Contributor

Looking at the OP's signature there is a PRG, Platinum and Everyday cards. It seems to me that the SPG is redundant, I would close it.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 6 of 12
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@driftless wrote:
Looking at the OP's signature there is a PRG, Platinum and Everyday cards. It seems to me that the SPG is redundant, I would close it.

Sorry it was not updated. 

I only have platinum, BCE, and blue cash at the moment. I canceled PRG.

Does this change your recommendation at all?

Message 7 of 12
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

If you could maximize the amex offers it should pay for the AF itself. Also the reason I am holding on to it is that it might be rolled into Chase card in the future which I will be able to PC into FU since there is no chance of me getting it with the 5/24 rule.

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 8 of 12
driftless
Valued Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Sorry it was not updated. 

I only have platinum, BCE, and blue cash at the moment. I canceled PRG.

Does this change your recommendation at all?

No
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 9 of 12
budugu
Regular Contributor

I am not aware of any no AF spg card to product change to... any tips on which no AF Amex card this card can product change to?

Curious as well .... can SPG be converted to any no Fee cards like Every day or cash?

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.