Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide which card to apply for next

tag
maurita
Valued Member

Help me decide which card to apply for next

Ok, I am a big fan of the forums and value all the advice given here.

I have come a long way in the last 2 years. I started in with a less than favorable credit score in the mid 500s and am happy

to say that I have now hit the 800 mark on my EQ. I have been rebuilding slowly but surely. I had an American Express that I had defaulted on when I was in college

that actually aged off about 6 months. I tried applying for a new AMEX account and was denied because of a charged off account. Do I still have a chance with AMEX if I call them and ask them if they would allow me to pay off the account?And what are my chances of getting back in with the AMEX family?

Second question: I  applied for and was approved for Discover IT($1500)  and Capital One Quicksilver($300) in August 2013.

I am really wanting to apply for a third card. Which prime card would be best one to apply for. AMEX is a no go until I can call them and work out the old account.

Have read that others are having success with the Duck Card. I am in AZ and actually graduated from ASU.

I have a total of 4 INQ on my EX, 2 on EQ and 3 on TU.

My oldest account dates back to 12/96

I guess it would be ideal for an INQ to hit my EQ. It is my highest score and the one with only 2 INQs

Which prime cards pull EQ and which would be more likely give an approval?

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: EX 770 EQ 775 TU 794
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help me decide which card to apply for next

You should look into the Chase Freedom. UR points are nice and the 5% rotating is a nice pairing with Discover IT. At 800ish scores, you are pretty much free to go after whatever you want so you should really do research into what type of card you want.

Edit - Don't limit yourself to EQ if you find a card you'd like from a non-EQ puller. You inqs are pretty low on all three so one won't really do much to you.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 4
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I've heard members mention that Amex has a program called "oasis" (sp?) that allows people to get back in with them by paying off old debts. I'd look into that.

Just curious - how is it that your scores are so high but you only got those CLs from cap1 and discover? I'm confused.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 4
maurita
Valued Member

I have a Dillard's account that is still reporting that I paid off and closed in 2006. It was originally opened in 1996. It is still reporting on my reports. I also have a couple other old accounts that I paid off and are still reporting. I also have a student loan reporting positive. My utilization is at about 6-8%. My credit limits with Capital One and Discover It are small. I have been using the majority of the CL to the max. Paying Capital One in full each month. Discover I use about $1400 and pay nearly everything that I use. Leaving a balance of about $100-$115.

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: EX 770 EQ 775 TU 794
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.