Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me help someone else - card suggestions

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Help me help someone else - card suggestions

A credit-muggle friend is talking about getting a new credit card and I was trying to come up with ideas for the best card for them:

Some DPs
One revolver:  Chase Amazon, 16y, good limit.   
One open installment, a few closed.
EX FICO8 was ~ 810 last they checked (I saw).
(sorry, I'm not badgering for too much more info).

Things that need to be taken in consideration:
This person is fairly conservative and would likely like to stick to one of the bigger banks.  I wouldn't rule out a CU, but they're not a member of one/any right now.
Only one card that will rule all:  They put 100% of their spend on one card (be it 1k or 10k) and PIF every month.
No significant cat spend on anything in particular (I was thinking a nice all round flat percentage card, but open for suggestions)
They will NOT use an app or anything like that, so we don't care about mobile/app/etc usage.
Travel rewards can be utterly ignored
No Paypal (so no paypal 2%)
I won't necessarily rule out an AF, but I think it would be a hard sell.

I liked the idea of the DoubleCash, but since it's going to be the only card used, I'm worried about all of the nerfed stuff on it; which would bring us to the paypal, but they hate paypal.
Any ideas?  I was thinking since they're in with Chase, they can do the FU for the first year 3% spend and get 1.5% afterwards?
Or maybe the BoA Cash Rewards 3/2/1 thing (you get to choose your 3%, right?) as their installment loan is through BoA - long relationship there.

Come on MFers, I need you! Smiley Wink

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help me help someone else - card suggestions

Credit-Muggle... 

BOA is a good contender in my book w/ the ease of redemptions and growth with SP CLI - I'm up to 65K w/ them w/ no other accounts

WF/Citi are a bit stingy

Chase is good for nailing down a higher CL w/ CFU @ 3% 1st year -- aggregate w/ them is 71K+

Amex is a good option for a high CL w/ BCP 6% groceries and the other categories, additional cards are SP and CLI's are SP -- Aggregate 55K

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v12.html

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/

They're definitely a muggle when it comes to a single card but, enticing them w/ a SUB might help.  Maybe CSP w/ $505 net SUB or BOA PR $405 net SUB.  There's a lot of options and if you get the ball rolling they might take to the new SUB annually or less frequently.

Message 2 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@calyx  who do they bank with? 

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like they dont want to get into complex system, and they don't want to actively managing too nany cards.

Just get a double cash and call it.

Message 4 of 25
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Discover could be an option (cash back match after first year). But, if you want to keep it simple and not keep track of anything or update something every quarter or year, and they hate Paypal, DC is probably the obvious answer.

If they are a Sam's Club or Costco member, they may be drawn to the Sam's Club 5% gas card or the Costco 4% Citi card. And/or if they shop on Amazon a lot, they may be drawn to the Amazon 5% off cards.

JMO, good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 5 of 25
calyx
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@calyx  who do they bank with? 

BofA, but they've been making noises about moving (I doubt it'll ever happen).
Also share a Cap1 joint account with the 'rents (I think).

Message 6 of 25
calyx
Super Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Discover could be an option (cash back match after first year). But, if you want to keep it simple and not keep track of anything or update something every quarter or year, and they hate Paypal, DC is probably the obvious answer.

If they are a Sam's Club or Costco member, they may be drawn to the Sam's Club 5% gas card or the Costco 4% Citi card. And/or if they shop on Amazon a lot, they may be drawn to the Amazon 5% off cards.

JMO, good luck!

No Sams or Costco, they have the Amazon already and are getting away from it since they rarely shop at Amazon anymore and consider it a bit of a waste.

Message 7 of 25
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit-Muggle... 

BOA is a good contender in my book w/ the ease of redemptions and growth with SP CLI - I'm up to 65K w/ them w/ no other accounts

WF/Citi are a bit stingy

Chase is good for nailing down a higher CL w/ CFU @ 3% 1st year -- aggregate w/ them is 71K+

Amex is a good option for a high CL w/ BCP 6% groceries and the other categories, additional cards are SP and CLI's are SP -- Aggregate 55K

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v12.html

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/

They're definitely a muggle when it comes to a single card but, enticing them w/ a SUB might help.  Maybe CSP w/ $505 net SUB or BOA PR $405 net SUB.  There's a lot of options and if you get the ball rolling they might take to the new SUB annually or less frequently.

Thanks!
BCP I threw out because virtually no streaming, most grocery is random farmstands/markets with cash, if they were to go with AMEX, I think the CashMagnet would be more their "style"  and travel & dining are fairly limited, so CSP didn't occur to me, even though I quite like mine.

I don't BOA (bad history with them - not credit wise, I hate them), so the BOA is a late contender for me (since I honestly forgot), but the potential for higher limits is always good, and if it's easy to redeem, that's awesome.

Message 8 of 25
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like they dont want to get into complex system, and they don't want to actively managing too nany cards.

Just get a double cash and call it.

I was wondering if all of the removed benefits would make a 1.5% (CFU/QS or whatever) card worth it more?
Otherwise, DC and call it does make sense.
And I'm probably over thinking it.   Someone who just sticks to one card probably doesn't take advantage of benefits enough to be worth the angst.

Message 9 of 25
calyx
Super Contributor

PS:  Thanks everyone for helping!  I really appreciate it, and I'm probably overthinking it, but I don't want to throw out recommends to them without checking in with you guys who are so well versed, first Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.