cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me help someone else - card suggestions

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Valued Contributor

Re: Help me help someone else - card suggestions

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@calyx wrote:

This person is fairly conservative and would likely like to stick to one of the bigger banks. 

I wouldn't rule out a CU, but they're not a member of one/any right now.
Only one card that will rule all:  They put 100% of their spend on one card (be it 1k or 10k) and PIF every month.
No Paypal (so no paypal 2%)

My first thought is not about credit cards.  If they are the type of people they sound like, I'm truly shocked they would be banking with only big banks and not members of a good local credit union.  I have yet to find a big bank that can compete with the many credit unions I've belonged to over the years, in terms of fees, perks, and interest payments.  So my first recommendation has to be to highly suggest to them that they check out a credit union for their regular checking, savings, and maybe even some investment accounts. 

Seems to be reading quite a lot into a very brief description!   To me, "conservative" here doesn't mean "searching for value" or anything like that, it means "traditional/not one for change" and so you go for a big bank because that's what most people do!

You got it in one.
I will not be able to convince them to go to the small-bank-of-happiness and apply for a 5% flat cash back card Smiley Wink

For this couple, who haven't been getting ANY cash-back on most everyday purchases, they will probably be extremely pleased to get that 1.5% cash back on everything

If they are using Chase Amazon, they are getting at least 1% on everything, and 2% on some non-Amazon items (restaurants/drug stores/gas)

But I agree that Citi might not be the obvious choice.   However, I would simply choose between Citi DC (for the 2%) and the Chase FU (as they already have Chase)

Garden goal: Completely clean reports and a gold spade (which, at my current rate, is never going to happen...)
Message 21 of 25
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

After getting a new card, what do they intend to do with the Chase Amazon card?

Message 22 of 25
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

After getting a new card, what do they intend to do with the Chase Amazon card?

I didn't ask.
My best guess would be to use it on Amazon only (on the occasions they do shop there, particularly Christmas) and essentially sock drawer it.

Garden goal: Completely clean reports and a gold spade (which, at my current rate, is never going to happen...)
Message 23 of 25
Regular Contributor

@calyx wrote:

... they've got a sizeable savings account to cover major issues (up to and including paying cash for cars/autos or home renos).

OMG ... Please Please Please tell me that they don't keep a sizable savings account at Bank of America or Chase?!?  Smiley Sad

Their savings rates and even CDs and Money Markets are absolutely horrible! 

A good credit union will pay them many times over what they get from a big bank.  An online Money Market Savings account will do even better.  There are many of them available (even some from bigger banks) that pay between 2% and 2.5%.

For example, Bank of America pays .03% and only goes up to .06% if you're PLATINUM level in their Preferred Rewards Program.  ($100K+).

Chase pays .01% on basic savings; "Relationship Rates" start at .04% and only go up to .07% for balances under $250K.

On a basic savings account, Navy Federal CU pays 0.25%.  Their Money Market Savings pays 0.80% to 0.95%.

Goldman Sachs (Marcus) online banking Money Market Savings pays 2.15%, for example.

(No minimum deposit and a large reputable bank.) 

That is almost 36x the rate that BOA pays its' highest savings account. 

Message 24 of 25
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@calyx wrote:

... they've got a sizeable savings account to cover major issues (up to and including paying cash for cars/autos or home renos).

OMG ... Please Please Please tell me that they don't keep a sizable savings account at Bank of America or Chase?!?  Smiley Sad

Their savings rates and even CDs and Money Markets are absolutely horrible! 

Oh honey,   preaching to the choir.   I won't hurt you with what I know Smiley Wink
Have no fear, I'm working on them.

Message 25 of 25