Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me justify or not justify keeping Sallie Mae

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Help me justify or not justify keeping Sallie Mae

OK.....Ive had the SM cc for 1 1/2 yrs now, $7kcl, always PIF before statement cuts.  

Ive tried mulitple times for an APR reduction (dont even care about the sp CLI thing either), Id just like to have the perm apr reduct, and my TU score is the highest that SM/Barclays has ever seen since beening with them. 

Tried again today...lady says, "your acct is good standing, and Im not sure why we arent able to offer you "any" type of a promo on your acct"...(Well, thank you lady, that cleared things up for me too, glad I called in.)

So, basically...Im over it. Tired of calling in and asking for an apr reduction. I dont need the credit or the card. Now granted they have been patient with me in regards too my crazy 3 app sprees since having the card, and surviving any type of AA from them, and thats commendable. lol

Anyways...here are my reasons for keeping the card, and not keeping the card.

KEEP??? 

They've stuck with me thru 3 crazy app spress, drops in TU score by 5-15 pts sometimes, tons of new accts and INQ, and yet......all still intact. 

NOT KEEP??? 

1. I rarely shop Amazon...maybe 3x a yr for less than $60 each time.

2. I only spend maybe $50-$60 on gas each month...fill up twice a month; plus I have Sams MC. 

3. Their grocery store coding is inconsistent. I have to drive out of my way to a different Walmart Superstore for groceries, because the one 5 min from me codes differently..(found that out the hard way), and to "test" out different stores to see which ones I could shop at for groceries. 

4. Dont depend on this cc for utilization or credit. 

5. Half the time I forget to use the card for gas anyways. 

6. Im completely indifferent about this card. 

Am i just ticked because I cant get an APR reduction? I dont know..(sighs)........Thoughts?

Message 1 of 72
71 REPLIES 71
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Help me justify or not justify keeping Sallie Mae

Doesn't sound like you have a reason to keep it but it's up to you to make the call.  Does the card suit your needs/wants or does it not?  You can't just poll others to sort it out.

From a rewards perspective do the math for your spend.

Message 2 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're always paying in full, why do you care what the APR is?
Message 3 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

It's up to you to make the call.  Does the card suit your needs/wants or does it not?  You can't just poll others to sort it out.

From a rewards perspective do the math for your spend.

I see it as more of boucing off my thoughts on others....maybe Ill have an epiphany 

Message 4 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you're always paying in full, why do you care what the APR is?

I dont care who you are, whether or not you carry a balance or PIF....you always care about better stats on your cards. 

Message 5 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I feel like Im Dr. House, running the Diagnostics across my team.....

" ok!....Differential for wanting to close SM...GO!" Smiley Wink

(only Dr. House fans will get this, and appreciate it)

Message 6 of 72
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have SallieMae MasterCard also, I've had mine since early 2014. I've seen AA twice on this card, I total 4 Barclays cards and I don't want to jinx myself, but this one is prone to AA over the other ones for some reason. I've had the card at 3500 then 1500 then back to 3500 then down to 500 now. They don't like me either over at Barclays, no luck with apr reductions or soft pull anything over the years. I'm just keeping mine open because you can't apply for it anymore. I also have the highest apr of like 22.9%. Idk it sounds like u have no reason for it but it just depends on if you are done managing it.
Message 7 of 72
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I would be fully supportive no matter what you decide on this one, to be honest.  Smiley Happy

That being said, just keep in mind that needs do change, and if something were to go wrong with your Sam's Club MasterCard (see other recent threads) then the SM might be useful again for gas.  Of course there's a bunch of "if's" here...

If it were me,  I would likely just relegate it to the SD for the time being, especially since in this case you can't change your mind later - once you close it, it's gone forever.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:
I have SallieMae MasterCard also, I've had mine since early 2014. I've seen AA twice on this card, I total 4 Barclays cards and I don't want to jinx myself, but this one is prone to AA over the other ones for some reason. I've had the card at 3500 then 1500 then back to 3500 then down to 500 now. They don't like me either over at Barclays, no luck with apr reductions or soft pull anything over the years. I'm just keeping mine open because you can't apply for it anymore. I also have the highest apr of like 22.9%. Idk it sounds like u have no reason for it but it just depends on if you are done managing it.

my apr is 23.24%..., and frankly, Im getting tired of managing so many cards. The game is over for me..Im looking more towards quality of cards in my future, and closing $7k in pocket change for me, lol...I have a feeling that SM wont be around forever anyways, and that it could get nerfed, my guess into the Upromise, but thats my speculation due to talking with several USA reps when I call in. Nothing confirmed though. 

Message 9 of 72
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Close all your cards pizza l!! It's very entertaining watching your credit journey. Oops! I got carried away l! I would keep it as we can no longer apply for it.
Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.