Did you mean: 

Help me justify or not justify keeping Sallie Mae

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Help me justify or not justify keeping Sallie Mae

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
If you close it just frame it , put in your credit card hall of fame( shame) depending on memories it braught youSmiley Happy. You can look back on your journey reminiscing on how you had THAT card and oh what an adventure it wasSmiley Happy Good luck with your decision Smiley Happy

LOL..Thats idea for sure! I do keep all my cc...just for old times sake and to look at them and see how that card has changed over the years.  

Message 21 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

It's up to you to make the call.  Does the card suit your needs/wants or does it not?  You can't just poll others to sort it out.

From a rewards perspective do the math for your spend.

I see it as more of boucing off my thoughts on others....maybe Ill have an epiphany 

I like to do the same thing, pizza.  Smiley Happy Just a thought:  Maybe when you first got your card you were put in a "box" that isn't good about apr and things. I am definitely in a box with my Stash card. I was sent a Visa and not a Signature Visa. I called and the rep said only Synchrony could change that. Yep, definitely a box. 

Just a thought.

That was my thoughts as well ML...and with the Stash cc....same here! Stash is going away in December for me before AF hits, and remember Im trying to prep my reports for PF and Alliant next year. I appreciate your thought always! You do the same thing too...we like to post thought provoking threads, lolSmiley Wink  

Message 22 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got an APR reduction on my Sallie Mae from 14.24% to 10.24%, and I don't even care. The only reason I got it is because I wanted a CLI and did the call in APR/CLI deal. So, I'll split the difference on APR with you if you'll split the difference on CL. Smiley LOL

Way to rub it in CT!! LOL...We always want what we cant have...Smiley Wink

in your case I want your apr, and you want my CL..Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 72
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Just keep in mind if you cancel this card you can never get it back.. I can think of about 10 cards I would cancel before this in your portfolio Smiley Happy..  To name a few, don't take this personallySmiley Happy..

1) Store cards at 25% apr's that you love Smiley Happy

2) Sync Majors at 25% apr's

3) etc..

It does all come to preference although obviously you know my opinions on your card choices through many conversations lol. The SM is bar none the best no AF credit card for small spend (gas/grocery/amazon) I believe even if you don't use it for Amazon.  Just Gas/Grocery at 5% is an awesome deal!  Perfect card for a single person with fairly small spend on grocery/gas and amazon.

Message 24 of 72
ddemari
Super Contributor

Will closing this card help your profile in relation to maybe hearing from letters,"you have too many credit cards". 

If so, then I think that closing this card will help you down the road. I know you keep your utilization low, so closing it won't impact that. 

Since utilization isnt a problem for you, keeping it open isn't really helping you spend more money than you should. 

Therefore, I think its a total preference thing. Close it means one less card to handle. 

Message 25 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Just keep in mind if you cancel this card you can never get it back.. I can think of about 10 cards I would cancel before this in your portfolio Smiley Happy..  To name a few, don't take this personallySmiley Happy..

3) etc..

It does all come to preference although obviously you know my opinions on your card choices through many conversations lol. The SM is bar none the best no AF credit card for small spend (gas/grocery/amazon) I believe even if you don't use it for Amazon.  Just Gas/Grocery at 5% is an awesome deal!  Perfect card for a single person with fairly small spend on grocery/gas and amazon.

I think its time we came clean CC...tell everyone we are getting married. Its time they knew Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 72
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@pizza1 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

3) etc..

I think its time we came clean CC...tell everyone we are getting married. Its time they knew Smiley Wink

lol 

Message 27 of 72
northface28
Established Contributor

I'm actually going to roll my SM into my cash forward card. The caps are too low and I'm more into cash back not "points", besides, the caps are low anyway.
BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 28 of 72
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@northface28 wrote:
I'm actually going to roll my SM into my cash forward card. The caps are too low and I'm more into cash back not "points", besides, the caps are low anyway.

intersting....Thank you NF! You are right about the low caps. I mean..for a family, who ONLY spends $250 in groceries a month? Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have credit cards in three countries including the US, and I refuse to pay a single cent in interest in any of them. A single month's of interest at double digits wipes out months or a year's worth of rewards. The only stats that matter are your income, your level of spending, the rewards on the card and the annual fee

Want a low interest backup, get a secured or unsecured line of credit.
Message 30 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.