Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me select my next cards at 1/24

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help me select my next cards at 1/24

I just reached the 3 month mark with my new BoA Cash Rewards and an inquiry for my secured/graduated BoA mastercard with PC to Travel rewards is just hitting 24 months. Thinking of coming out of the garden to add a line or two to help my scores (Ex: 672 | Eq: 699 | Tu: 695). 

With the dropping off of my original secured card inquiry, I'm at 1/24 but wondering how I should proceed. Amex is showing prequalified offers for BCE, Gold, Delta gold. Discover is showing preapproval for IT. Capital One is showing preapproval for Savor.

Chase on their site is not offering anything (I think my file is not good for them with 2 lines and one of them at 3 months age). I tried prequal on NerdWallet and it did show prequal for Freedom and FU but I'm not sure if I can really trust it.

What would you suggest for my situation if I want to improve cash back or travel (mostly upgrades on flights that have already been purchased for me through work). Also regularly fly Southwest but am concerned with Chase as discussed before.

Thanks for your help and advice!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Help me select my next cards at 1/24

Do you have a US Bank relationship?
The Altitude Reserve can earn 4.5% on mobile wallet and travel costs, and it is super easy to use Real Time Rewards to erase those upgrade fees on flights.

AMEX Gold won’t be able to clear those costs, and gift cards don’t work for that upgrade fee on Delta. The remainder AF has some nice perks.

Savor or Venture can similarly apply the rewards to any charge, though the AF on Venture gets in the way of earning.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just B of A but this is an interesting suggestion. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as travel rewards card go, airline cards are said to be among the easiest to get. Since you say you fly Southwest a lot, I would recommend applying for one of the Southwest cards. There are 3 of them, plus, premier, priority. I think you've got a good chance at one of those. The minimum credit limit on each card is $2000. I got my Freedom Unlimited when my Freedom was about 2.5 months old and there was a prequalified offer on my online Chase account.

So, go for it. Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.