Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

tag
Jlu
Established Contributor

Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

Okay so she is 21 and didn't have any credit when I met her. When we started dating I pulled her CR and she had 1 CA that I DV'd for her and it was subsequently  deleted (yay me). I added her as an AU (I know, I know but it's only a $750 limit) to my Cap1 that has $0 balance and positive history for 1 year and 8 months. I also had her open some store cards a few months ago (Old Navy, Express, Kay Jewelers) - her utilitization is under 10%. She was just approved for a Discover More with a $1k limit.

Her scores are: 

TU FICO 704

EQ FICO 700

EX FAKO 690

She is traveling to Kansas from Boston in May of 2013 and I'd like her to not have to pay for it. I believe this is possible because we run $2-4k/mo thru CC's and PIF. We could charge about $25k between now and her trip. 

I was thinking AMEX SPG would be the best card but I think her file might be too thin.

What do you guys think?

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Help my DGF find a travel card (please)

I think her file might be too thin for the SPG right now.

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Okay so she is 21 and didn't have any credit when I met her. When we started dating I pulled her CR and she had 1 CA that I DV'd for her and it was subsequently  deleted (yay me). I added her as an AU (I know, I know but it's only a $750 limit) to my Cap1 that has $0 balance and positive history for 1 year and 8 months. I also had her open some store cards a few months ago (Old Navy, Express, Kay Jewelers) - her utilitization is under 10%. She was just approved for a Discover More with a $1k limit.

Her scores are: 

TU FICO 704

EQ FICO 700

EX FAKO 690

She is traveling to Kansas from Boston in May of 2013 and I'd like her to not have to pay for it. I believe this is possible because we run $2-4k/mo thru CC's and PIF. We could charge about $25k between now and her trip. 

I was thinking AMEX SPG would be the best card but I think her file might be too thin.

What do you guys think?

I agree her file may be too thin. You may just have to grunt it out and gain more age on those accounts then go for it next year.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

What you might consider doing is apply for the Zync and then if she is approved for that with NPSL you could then immediately apply for the SPG. This way she might get the Zync at least with a HP. The SPG if denied won't be a HP. It would be beneficial for her to get a start with AMEX anyway even if it is only a Zync.

Okay...I'm not sure about this so maybe an AMEX user could correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are approved for the Zync but denied the SPG, you could use the Zync to build points and then re-apply for the SPG in 6 months. If you are approved at that point you might be able to transfer points.? Are points transferable from a charge to a revolver?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

But yeah, that 30k bonus points from SPG is very attractive. Once her Discover shows up I'm going to app her for Zync and then try for SPG because I do want her in with AMEX.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 4 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

But yeah, that 30k bonus points from SPG is very attractive. Once her Discover shows up I'm going to app her for Zync and then try for SPG because I do want her in with AMEX.

Is this something she wants?? I know your looking at her best interests but apping on behalf on someone without their consent isnt looked at nicely here. (don't take offense to this please, im sure your trying to help but make sure she's all in for it as well)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

Is this something she wants?? I know your looking at her best interests but apping on behalf on someone without their consent isnt looked at nicely here. (don't take offense to this please, im sure your trying to help but make sure she's all in for it as well)

Agree with this. Ramping up someones portfolio can be a very bad idea especially if they aren't used to managing multiple accounts. You could be doing a lot of damage to her long term by getting her these cards. And agree with LS comment ts concerning consent. Best to let her do the apping or she will resent you later on for pushing this too hard.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I don't think she would be approved for Amex at this point. Also, getting all those store cards lowered her AAOA.. Amex is going to want to see at least a year with a couple of positive, open TLs. What if you just use one of your cards for her ticket?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

No guys, she is completely on board with this. I've taught her what I've learned (mostly from here) and she is excited to build her credit.

In fact she is teasing me about having a higher score than me.

And I was thinking about using my Freedom and then transfering the points to a CSP when I get approved next year. Then I could transfer to a partner airline and maximize my UR points.

Message 8 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

One major obstacle here is that without an existing CL of $5k, many of the better travel rewards card (such as Visa Sig, WMC, etc...) will be rejected automatically by the computer approval system.

With a thin file, it takes some effort to find the first issuer willing to extend the first $5K + line.  After her Discover posts and is reporting (make sure it is reporting on Ex), then I'd app for the Zync and SPG simultaneously.  She'll be approved for the former, but maybe not the latter, but you never know.  I firmly believe it's worthwhile to take a shot, especially when it's with the same inquiry.

Good luck!

Message 9 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Jlu wrote:

No guys, she is completely on board with this. I've taught her what I've learned (mostly from here) and she is excited to build her credit.

In fact she is teasing me about having a higher score than me.

That's good to hear! Let her pull the trigger then! I still think an amex charge card such as PRG will help her.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.