Regular Contributor

Re: Help on BT

Welcome
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sgs10 wrote:

Thanks I just checked with CSR about the direct deposit and he confirmed that its a BT and not CA

So let me understand this, you can get a balance transfer through direct deposit into your bank account and not have it tied to any of the fees of a cash advance?

I didn't know this until now, quite useful.

Message 12 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I recently did a balance transfer from a card to a Citi card.  It was quick and easy.  I called up Citi (but also see that I could've done it online) and told them the card and amount I wanted to transfer and then in under a week, it was done.

I also just got blank checks from Barclays.  It said you could fill them out and give them to people as checks or write a check to yourself and deposit it in your bank.  I haven't read the fine print but it seems simple enough.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 17
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Yep but only in CITI

Message 14 of 17
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So let me understand this, you can get a balance transfer through direct deposit into your bank account and not have it tied to any of the fees of a cash advance?

Yup. It's known as credit card arbitrage. It's basically a short-term interest-free loan from the credit card company. It can be used to pay off/down a higher interest loan.

You have to make the minimum monthly payments and possibly pay a BT fee, and by all means, pay it back on time! Also, it's important to do this on a card with no other purchases, because payments will go to the lowest interest items first. I recently did this with my Chase card and the CSR was quite detailed about how to do it.

ETA: Meh, crappy block quote.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LisaPA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup. It's known as credit card arbitrage. It's basically a short-term interest-free loan from the credit card company. It can be used to pay off/down a higher interest loan.

You have to make the minimum monthly payments and possibly pay a BT fee, and by all means, pay it back on time! Also, it's important to do this on a card with no other purchases, because payments will go to the lowest interest items first. I recently did this with my Chase card and the CSR was quite detailed about how to do it.

ETA: Meh, crappy block quote.

This is no longer true.  Feel free to do a BT on whichever card offers you the best offer, and your payments above the minimum will not go to the lower interest rate balance first like they used to.

One positive thing to come out of the CARD act.

Message 16 of 17
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

Maybe my CSR at Chase was wrong, but he told me that just last month. I'm not inclined to find out which of us is wrong at this point. My BT doesn't end until May of 2012!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.