cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help us decide which credit cards to get?

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Help us decide which credit cards to get?

What we like

- Flying Delta, Jet Blue

- (My wife likes cheap airlines but I sincerely don't like Amreican Airlines or United)

- Homewood sweets by Hilton

- It would be nice to have priority seating when boarding planes, especially with kids

How we like to spend money:

- 6 flights a year between Kentucky and NYC

- 1 flight every 2 years between NYC and Europe

- 7-10 nights a year in hotels (we prefer homewood sweets because they have full kitchen, utensils, etc... and we like to cook)

- we go dining 2 times per month

What we don't do:

- we don't rent cars, we usually drive or fly to places where family is around

Our yearly spending on travel:

- $5,000 on all travel expenses

- $2400 on eating out at restaurants, cheap breakfast diners, etc

Groceries:

- $10,000 per year

Other misc. spending (medical bills, licenses, new electronics, shopping, you get idea)

- $5,000 per year

Gas = FKFCU 5% so not included.

Cells = Cash + so not included.

Credit Score: 710

AAoA: 7 years

0/24

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help us decide which credit cards to get?

Amex Gold charge card. covers dining, grocery, flight, hotel.

Join delta skymile program, you can get a silver status and get some help with boarding process and free seat upgrade.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Join delta skymile program, you can get a silver status and get some help with boarding process and free seat upgrade.

How would someone get the upgrade to silver status?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 2018 with the $450 annual fee and airline credits, Amex personal Platinum was a very good buy.

In 2019 with the $550 annual fee and the airline travel credit now being harder to use it, the card may still make sense but requires greater scrutiny.

If your family uses shaving products and cosmetics (categories where Saks pricing might be acceptable) then the Saks credit can reduce the annual fee.

If you might need to be on call for work during a trip, then the one year of WeWork access with business Platinum can make that card worth considering.

In both cases you get Delta Skyclub access when flying Delta.

The Priority Pass might have greater value in Europe than in the U.S. but even then no guarantee.

The Hilton Gold status might enhance your hotel stay.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How would someone get the upgrade to silver status?

Delta has a chart on how to achieve medallion status. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/how-to-qualify.html

Message 5 of 10
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is Delta Skymile program through Amex Gold or is it something I pay extra?

Also what do you think about Amex Hilton Credit Card?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

skymile program is not part of gold card. Gold will earn MR points which can be transferred to skymiles.

Joining is free, once join, you will earn miles towards a medallion status and its benefits. The miles can also be redeemed for future flight. Joining the program, earning miles, using miles can amount to 5-8% cash back towards future travels (for silver status or below). so its a no brainer to join.

if you want to open hilton card on top of gold, thats fine. Although since your largest spending is grocery, then travel, food and hotel, Gold definitely will provide you the most value.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I kind have the same situation. Other than I eat out pretty much every meal and only spend about $100 a month on grocery shopping. 

My line up:

Amex Gold for daily use including resturants and some travel

Amex Delta Platinum for booking tickets, upgraded boading, free bag on flights and $29 access to Delta Sky Lounge (I may change to Amex Platinum when I start traveling more.)

Chase Saphirre Preferred for all others 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is Delta Skymile program through Amex Gold or is it something I pay extra?

Also what do you think about Amex Hilton Credit Card?

The Gold Card is always a good fit for most spending if you want to get points. You will probably be able to subsidize one trip to NYC a year on Delta. (assuming you have two kids?) Just make sure to prioritize spending to your bonus catagories. (Wholesale =/= x4)

I assume you fly out of SDF? (Kentucky boy here too) Honestly, the Platium Delta card wouldn't be a bad fit either given your flights to NYC. Annual companion ticket alone gives you return on the annual fee. Then all your travelers get a free checked bag and main cabin boarding. It's kind of expensive depending on how many people you have, but if you need lounge access at JFK, you can pay to get into the lounge at 29 per person.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do some research on CNB Crystal Visa Infinite card and possibly apply on your next trip if it makes sense for your family.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/City-National-Bank-Crystal-credit-card-review/td-p/546...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.