Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden Gems- Less well known Great credit cards

tag
nishant1
New Contributor

Hidden Gems- Less well known Great credit cards

Would like to populate list of less well known but great credit cards.

Please add to the listas you think of with details why you think it as great credit card

I will start with

1) JCB Murukai Premium - 3 % No limit cash back limit. No annual fee. Tie up with Discover network.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Re: Hidden Gems- Less well known Great credit cards

I don't think that the priceline visa nor the fidelity amex are talked about enough.  flast 2% cashback.  I <3 these cards.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 2 of 13
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

Well I can help name the gems Smiley Happy

Blue Cash Everyday AMEX

Citi Diamond Preferred w/EMV chip

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Chase Freedom

Discover It

USAA Rewards AMEX

Texans Credit Union Rate Advantage Visa

Navy Federal Credit Union Flagship Rewards

Digital Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa
Capital One Venture

US Bank Cash+

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AMEX

That's about it that I'm aware of! I have all but the last two lol Those are on my list to get though.

Message 3 of 13
thom02099
Valued Contributor

J P Morgan Select Visa.  All the benefits of Chase and a hidden tradeline to boot.

IberiaBank Select Visa.  If you're looking for a credit card with a low introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers, then the  Select Visa might be a good fit for you.
The Select card has an introductory zero percent APR on purchases for one year. After that, variable rates start as low as 7.50 percent.  The application process, however, can be a bit daunting. 

Merrill Lynch Platinum Plus Signature Visa.  All the benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred without the AF.  Reward points but not quite as good as CSP. 

Message 4 of 13
BornSupercharged
New Contributor

Merrill Lynch = Bank of America. How does the customer service compare with Chase Sapphire Preferred? Do you get someone as soon as you dial (a la CSP) or do you have to jump through phone prompts?

Message 5 of 13
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

One thing about Merrill Lynch.  The year 2000 called... they want their web site design back! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@BornSupercharged wrote:

Merrill Lynch = Bank of America. How does the customer service compare with Chase Sapphire Preferred? Do you get someone as soon as you dial (a la CSP) or do you have to jump through phone prompts?

Truthfully...their customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.  Didn't get a real person when I called in, had to go through the voice prompts.  Originally when I wanted to apply, the call tree kept prompting me for my account number and I didn't HAVE an account number.  Had to keep pressing ZERO a number of times to just confuse the voice tree and transfer me to a real person.  And when I first applied, I tried to make it clear that I was applying for the Merrill Plus card.  The CSR kept pushing the Total Merrill card, which is not what I wanted.  I thought he understood my request, but apparently didn't, since I received the Total Merrill card anyway.  Had to call them back and ask for a supervisor/manager to make sure that it was understood that my request was for a Merrill Plus card.  Since the call center originally was off-shore, my guess is that there was a language barrier in understanding my request. 

That said, I finally received the correct card.  I do like the benefits of the card, similar to the CSP.  Got it just a few days ago and already pushed several hundred $$ through it!   Did get some interesting comments about the look of the card. 

One thing about Merrill Lynch.  The year 2000 called... they want their web site design back! :smileyvery-happy:

You are sooo right about that!   Wish they had an on-line process to apply; NOT having one is so '90s!   But once the account is set up, it takes the user to the BofA site for account management, and the card info is pulled up just like any other BofA card. 

Message 7 of 13
iloverewards
Valued Member

@zyzzus wrote:

I don't think that the priceline visa nor the fidelity amex are talked about enough.  flast 2% cashback.  I <3 these cards.

I was just deciding between these two cards. Which do you think is better? How do you integrate both into your credit card usage system? Smiley Tongue

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 8 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

US Bank Flexperks is highly under-rated and over looked card imo. What other card can get you 3% back towards travel for base spending (with platinum checking) and still get frequent flyer miles with your award flights? not to mention it works with ANY airlines, and 20k points can get you first class domestic tickets.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 13
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Amex Mercedes Revolver: 3-2-1 MR earning structure and Moderate AF.

BofA Virgin Atlantic Amex: 1.5 miles per dollar, spending boosters at 15k and 25k, ability to transfer to Hilton at 2:1, EMV chip and moderate AF.

Barclay's Travelocity Amex: 5-2-1 earning structure, low AF.

Chase Fairmont Visa: platinum status, potential free night after 12k spend, moderate AF.

Chase Priority Club: annual free night, 10% points rebate, automatic platinum status, low AF.

Ctibank Hilton Reserve: 2 free nights signup bonus, annual free night with 10k spend, automatic gold status, diamond after 40k, EMV chip, moderate AF.

Citibank Prestige (new version): for big spenders and fliers, ideally with Citigold or PB. Not going to explain all of the benefits, if you fit into this category you already know.

Fidelity Amex normal: 2% cash back with no AF

Fidelity Amex private client: Same as above plus priority pass select for $200 AF.

US Bank Club Carlson: automatic gold status, 5 points per dollar on general spend, last night free for point redemptions, annual 40k points, moderate AF.

US Bank Flexperks: Good for domestic airfare, EMV Chip, potential to waive AF.

Most PenFed cards

JPM Ritz Carlton: Marriott gold with 10k spend, lounge club, 3 club level upgrade certificates, $200 airline credit

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.