Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Change on Credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

High Change on Credit card

Hello Guys!

I have a lot of things going on like we are flying internationally and the tickets we bought have a racked up to $3000 total and I have other regular expenses and this perticular card  never had a high balance more then $2300. So is it advisable to pay it as soon as it closes or before it closes so I can avoid getting a ding on my socre.

Because of the travel there are other purchase so all my CC are on the higher bal then usual but  less then 30% of the combined CL.

Will this effect my sore as I am palling to apply for a car loan in then next couple weeks!

Thank you

Mike

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: High Change on Credit card

If you can, I'd pay off as much as possible before the statement cut date.  Those dates don't always have to be the same, so I check through several bills over the last few mos & the earliest cut date shown, that's when I try & pay by.  Once the statement cuts, that is what is reported to the 3 & shows on the reports. 

What ever the new balance...the scores will reflect that.

Hope this helps!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you that information I am just   in my fifth year! So still getting used to it. I checked my statement just closed, even though I pay in full before the cut off date it will still be reported is that right ?

Message 3 of 6
honeybunnygal
Regular Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

If you can, I'd pay off as much as possible before the statement cut date.  Those dates don't always have to be the same, so I check through several bills over the last few mos & the earliest cut date shown, that's when I try & pay by.  Once the statement cuts, that is what is reported to the 3 & shows on the reports. 

What ever the new balance...the scores will reflect that.

Hope this helps!

+1 to what Mo said. One thing to keep in mind, though. Some cards report the balance as of the last business day of the month (I know HSBC does this & I believe that includes Orchard Bank under that umbrella as well). If that's the card you're using, you'll want to pay it down soon.

Also, I believe AMEX reports a month behind (reporting the balance of the previous statement rather than the current one).

Good luck!

Hard work & patience can go a long way!
8/2009 (myFICO): TU - 599, EQ - 656
7/23/2010 (LO pull): TU - 738, EQ - 801, EX - 785
4/12/2012 (myFICO): TU -778, EQ - 791
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CC I was talking about is the Amex so I will pay as soon as I can. If Amex reports one month late hope my score does not changes, and if it does hope I get my Auto  loan before that as am i have been striving to maintian the high 700.

Thank you MO and bunny

Message 5 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you that information I am just   in my fifth year! So still getting used to it. I checked my statement just closed, even though I pay in full before the cut off date it will still be reported is that right ?

If what you're saying is that you paid in full before the cut date...you're going to be fine.  It will report a $0 balance.

And to honeybunnygal...you're right!  I always forget that since I don't have cards that post that way..d'oh!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.