Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Credit Limit CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: High Credit Limit CC

Which company would you recommend. BOA I have some very poor experiences through my life (just hate customer service and fees, etc) so hesitant to use them but will take advice of people here 

Message 11 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've not had a lot of luck with breaking $100k on revolvers myself.  I'm one of a number people capped at $99,900 with Bank of America (plus an AU card at $99,900).  If you have the income and/or assets to support it, Amex, BOA, Chase, and Citi have no issues with 6-digit limits but those requirements can be high.  Mine is a bit higher than what you listed and Amex seems to have me capped at around $75k even with 2 decades of history, including exceeding $100k in annual spend.

The spend you listed is extremely excessive compared to your stated income.  Are these business expenses?  I'd look into business cards if that's the case, specifically something like the Amex family of charge cards.  But for personal revolving cards, it would be a bit unusual to see 6-digit limits unless you have significant assets, and preferably a depository relationship with that lender.

Message 12 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which company would you recommend. BOA I have some very poor experiences through my life (just hate customer service and fees, etc) so hesitant to use them but will take advice of people here 

How long has it been since you have been with BOA?  They are a drastically different company today than they were 15 years ago.  If you have $100k or more to deposit to get Premium Honors, they may be a very viable option and that makes their Premium Rewards and Cash Rewards cards quite valuable for cash back cards with the 75% bonuses.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been about 10 years, but have had poor experiences with their lending department for other people over the past few years. 

You state citi has that capability. Does the citi double cash back have the ability to go that north? 

Additionally, if I were to go with a BOA card, which one would you recommend? I see you said BOA has honors program? Is that for Hilton honors or something else? Also what other card would you recommend as an alternative at a different institution?

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh disregard my question on honors program. Didn't see where you mentioned 100k deposits. Guess thats their own program for major depositors

Message 15 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's been about 10 years, but have had poor experiences with their lending department for other people over the past few years. 

You state citi has that capability. Does the citi double cash back have the ability to go that north? 

Additionally, if I were to go with a BOA card, which one would you recommend? I see you said BOA has honors program? Is that for Hilton honors or something else? Also what other card would you recommend as an alternative at a different institution?

Pretty much all Citi cards have the capability of going to 6 digits, but again the requirements would be significant income and/or assets.

If you are looking for cash back and have significant deposits at Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, and/or Merrill Edge, the combination of Premium Rewards and Cash Rewards is huge.  Preferred Rewards is a BOA/ML/ME program for those with significant depository relationships.  The highest level for those with $100k or more in deposits is Platinum Honors, and that earns a 75% bonus on the core Bank of America credit cards.  So instead of Premium Rewards being 2% for travel and 1.5% for everything else, it becomes 3.5% back for travel and 2.625% for everything else, and Cash Rewards 3% purchases become 5.25% back.

Message 16 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

It might be just me but if you feel uncomfortable with a lender, no need to work with them just to get a possible high limit card. Its your money so feeling comfortable should be important, though i know not a prerequisiteSmiley Wink

It is possible to get high limit on the DC but again i assume based of income and relationship with Citi.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX has given me over 60% of my reported income in revolving limits. That is not including charge cards with their pay over time limits. 

Message 18 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX has given me over 60% of my reported income in revolving limits. That is not including charge cards with their pay over time limits. 

Are you reporting an income over $200k?  This really doesn't seem to scale past a certain point.  Like there's no shortage of (for example) people making $40k a year with $25k in Amex limits, but $250k income with $150k in Amex limits doesn't seem to happen (unless someone has millions in assets).  I seem to be capped at around 30% of income even with very high spend over many years and had a thread about that last month.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks yall! Yes I report right at 200. I understand completely. Looks like Amex and BOA is way to go for scalable future. 

What particular card do you recommend that will allow me to eventually get to the highest level of honors? Not right now as I don't have that in deposits, but a card that will get there if I do and I can build history with them of. I preferably don't want an annual fee. 

Also what particular Amex do you recommend? 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.